Shapeoko pro table/spoilboard issues

So I was trying to tram the head of my machine after building a workbench for it. As I leaned in and placed my hand on the work table I noticed my indicator move maybe.005 to .010. I started to investigate and noticed the countersunk screws under the spoil board are crowd and not flush causing the spoil board to bow and flex. I also noticed the aluminum cross members flexing as well.

I’m thinking I might add some holes and screws to pull the crossmembers down to the workbench. don’t worry I will face the work table after.

Anyone else come across these problems? And if you haven’t double check your machine. 0.01 might not seem like much but it’s enough to effect surface finishes on harder materials.

Thoughts

Having the bolts firm is important. Not much you can do about the aluminum flex. Previous posts suggested getting high-density foam to support under the table. I got Fatigue Foam mats from Harbor Freight to help quiet things down and take up any imperfections in the table

1 Like

Im not a fan of pulling the cross members down to the table. If there is a bow in the mating surface and you get the two surfaces to meat that bow can be transferred to something else either another component of the machine or the table surface.

I would do the following
Check to see if the table surface is flat first if it is great. If not you should deal with that first.

Then get a countersink bit and re-seat the pocket for the screws and get them down slightly below the surface of the cross members.
with all the spoil boards off check the cross members for gaps at the table top and shim as needed. this should correct your problem.

The weight of you leaning on the table is not as much as material sitting on the spoil board. If your table is made of Wood/plywood even the changes in temp and humidity will cause some changes in whatever you try to measure.

If you correct the main problem (cross members Bolts) and surface your machine you should be good to go with that.

Anthony

1 Like

I’ve been debating about doing this, as i can push down on my spoilboard and push it down. I’ve surfaced my spoilboard many times so it’s tram to the spindle until it flexes under the weight of a big piece.

One of these days i need to look into why it’s bowed and see if i can address it.

What will cause enough force downward to cause deflection of your table while a part is cutting?

It’s usually the weight of the piece not cutting or anything. Throw a 4x8 sheet on there and it’ll flex down. or a heavy piece of walnut in the center.

I ended up counterboring the back side of the waste board and I also added screw down locations on the center of each crossmember.

It’s better but not perfect. I think I would need to reconstruct the work bench out of steel to get rid of the rest of the deflection.

Cutting softwood this might not be and issue but cutting harder materials it will cause tool chatter and a less than perfect finish.

Ultimately I’m being too nitpicky about a machine that is not ridged enough in general. Being a machinist it’s hard for me to overlook minute details.

Happy cutting

1 Like