Shapeoko Pro Testing

I got the chance last night to test what gives first on my Pro… belt slippage or stepper torque holding capacity. I also need to do this on my Original model XXL with 9mm belts…for science!

Methodology:
I used a fish scale that was well rated, had half pound increments, and one person said they calibrated it to be within 4% of a 2kg weight. Not as scientific as metrology equipment like I use at work, but should suffice for this shop experiment. I simply powered the machine on to lock the steppers and pulled using the scale. I marked the back of the X stepper shaft and the Y steppers already had marks from the factory that I used to see if the steppers rotated. I marked the belt’s position in the pulley to see if they had skipped, at least in the Y. The X is covered on the Pro. I repeated each pull 10 times to try to get an average.

Results:
The X is the axis most likely to experience issues (on machines equipped with the ZPlus or HDZ, on belt Z machines, that’s the most likely to skip) due to it having one stepper and belt. On my Pro the average skipping point was at around 30 lbs of force. The belt did not skip, but rather the stepper’s ability to hold did. So no teeth skipped on the pulley, rather the stepper rotated.

The Y skipped at an average of 40 lbs of force. And it also caused the steppers to skip, rather than the belt. There are two steppers and belts, but they don’t simply double it seems. That was surprising to me, but makes sense after some thought.

Conclusion: From this I conclude that belts are not a point of weakness when properly tensioned. I fully admit that I have previous experience with belts on 3D printers and have had a Shapeoko for 5 years. In all 20 pulls the steppers skipped and not the belts. I couldn’t come up with a way to test when the belts would skip as there is not an easy way to mechanically lock the steppers that didn’t also lock the belt.

Additional Info:
All the machines in this area of the market use the similar torque rated steppers even if they use leadscrews, ballscrews, or rack & pinion. So every machine using similar stepper torque ratings should skip at approximately the same torque range regardless of drive system. Ballscrews do offer some mechanical advantage, but also have more friction. From what is researched, usually ballscrew, leadscrew, and R&P machines in this class have slower acceleration rates/curves because they were skipping steps during acceleration. Most also have similar “gearing” so mechanical advantage is close on all of the machines in this class.

6 Likes

So it looks like the skipping point is about twice as much as on the non-Pro (around 18lbs I think). Interesting.

4 Likes

I need to test my Original model XXL with the same procedure to properly compare and eliminate variables. I may have been pulling differently. I imagine fast pull would have a different result than my attempts at show steady pulling.

2 Likes

I’ve spoken with Vince a little on his methodology when he tested the Original SO3. I’m going to retest with his process and add a dial indicator while doing it to test belt stretch on the Pro. The next test will have 73.493% more science!

6 Likes

Still testing out 18-19 pounds on the X and wide belt modded z drive on an S3. Force recorded with a scale and 0.001 jogging until stepper skips.

A simple 3-1 gear reduction would increase steps per mm to 120 and multiply that force output :wink:.

1 Like

For a 4:1 reduction see:

and

https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4733&p=34994#p34993

2 Likes

For the Y it will likely depend on where on X the load is applied, if you pull in the center then your force will be roughly even across both Y axes and you’ll get double the holding torque, if you move all the way to one end this reduces to 1x torque, same as X on an XXL. I expect similar on the Pro unless the linear rails are truly magic.

2 Likes

I had the pulling point for Y in the middle of X, but I can test the extreme ends too.

2 Likes

The plot thickens… Using Vince’s method of jogging the machine, I matched his 19 lbs in X, got 42 lbs in Y, and 52 lbs pulling up in Z. But using my method of just pulling on it like an ape, I still get 30 in X… interesting.

1 Like