Shapeoko Pro XXL Power Supply / Motor Controller Issues

Hello,

Recently assembled Shapeoko Pro XXL.

On the first day, we were able to connect a computer and ran a job successfully.

On day 2, the controller board started malfunctioning. The root cause is unclear. When we turn on the switch from the power supply to the controller, the board tries to turn on (regardless of whether or not the Shapeoko Pro’s front right plate power button is toggled on/off).

The LED lights on the controller board blink blue, and the board sends a pulse to the X, Y, and Z motors. The pulse is audible. See and view here: Shapeoko Pro XXL Motor Controller / Power Supply Issue - YouTube

We tried unplugging all of the components (limit switches, power, bitsetter, etc) and plug in each motor one at a time. In every case, the PCB just cycles. Sending a pulse to the motor once every 3 seconds or so.

When nothing except the power input is plugged into the board, the LEDs blink at the same frequency (but without the audible pulse from the motors).

If the power button to the front panel is plugged in, the power button blinks blue in sync with the LEDs on the board.

When the board draws power, the green light on the power supply turns off (or is so faint it can’t be seen).

Shapeoko Support sent a new power supply. We’re still experiencing the same symptoms.

The limit switches no longer respond when they are plugged into the board and when we hold a wrench over them.

Suspecting the issue is either the board or the power supply. Was wondering if anybody else experienced this? Or if anybody has any ideas of what else the problem could be? Help/advice much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sorry you’re having issues with your new machine.

I’m not sure about the usage of terms in your post. “Flashing” usually refers to updating the board’s firmware, which shouldn’t be required on such a new machine. And “flash a G-Code job” doesn’t make much sense at all.

Do you mean you sent the configuration to the board, and used Carbide Motion to run a job?

1 Like

Gerry, thank you for taking time to respond.

I clarified the language in that part of the post. I agree, the initial wording was a bit confusing. New wording is:

On the first day, we were able to connect a computer and ran a job successfully.

Ultimately none of that has anything to do with the issue. I only included that to highlight that the machine was working fine on the first day. On day 2 we started experiencing the issues I detailed above.

1 Like

Please let us know about these issues at support@carbide3d.com if you haven’t already and we will do our best to assist.

1 Like

Thank you, Will. I emailed customer support today, and called and left a message on the support line.

Have you come across those symptoms before? It seems like an electrical issue on the board. You can *hear the motors pulsing in the video that I linked in the OP.

I was surprised that even when the power button on the front plate is toggled off, the board is still sending a pulse of power to the motors.

The problem was an issue with the motor controller board. Carbide 3D sent a replacement quickly. Much appreciated!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.