Shapeoko XXL Enclosure

Wow… Fantastic job!
I wish I had that kind of dedication.
You may want to look into cutting a slot/door in the back, to enable tiling jobs later?

3 Likes

I think if I had a bigger shop I might have. It’s pretty much in its spot against the wall. I have already milled some material 8’ long by sticking it out the front. In this case it worked as it was just to maximize the material and I could trim off the excess to keep moving it in for each section. Some day it will likely have a back door!

1 Like

Great job!! Putting my order in LOL .
Any rough dimensions or pearls you may be willing to share? I bet this helps a bunch with the noise. Looking at building something similar with the “laser safe” windows to use in conjunction with the Jtech laser kit.

… just make mine a little taller so I can fit my HDZ… :slight_smile:

I can share a DWG or DXF file if you want that? I’m always looking to sell stuff, but this would be a tough one! :slight_smile: As you may have seen from the drawings the lid that comes down actually sticks out to accommodate the CNC travel beyond the front of the waste board. This also helps accommodate the vacuum hose when the CNC travels to the front edge of the work area. The problem I have not solved is that when closed if you are running without the vacuum it tosses chips out onto this ledge that then falls when you open the door. I just pickthe door up and Vac it quickly before it falls. Another thing I started doing was adding a then piece of aluminum flashing down in the slot between the wasteboard and frame to stop 90% before it leaves the surface. running vac also fixes this, but some things I don’t run vac on as i’ve been collecting shavings for melting some large HDPE blocks.

1 Like

Wondering if there is a way to make some sort of “grate” that could be connected to the vac somehow so that those chips are evacuated before the lid is open.

Also, being able to use that front space for a vertical table later on may be something to consider if you ever want to do dovetails or a box joint jig…

Never worry, I have all sorts of bad ideas on how to overcomplicate any design… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think that would be appreciated by many!

Tell us about the gas springs.

4 Likes

OK, I’ll get the file cleaned up and posted later today.

Ohhhh, Gas Springs… I would be embarrassed to show anyone the number of times it took me to get those in the correct position. It was only slightly less upsetting as I knew that I was going to paint the inside of the box. I will try to include specs on those and the position on the drawing.

3 Likes

Very beautiful enclosure! Whats BBP? How is the vacuum doing in the enclosure? If you would share your DXF files, it would be great. I almost finished my enclosure, and it does not work. I really should post it, show everyone what not to do, because I did it.

1 Like

BBP most likely == Baltic Birch Plywood — it’s great stuff to work with, no voids, one can easily add edge banding to cover the edges (though some folks like the look).

4 Likes

I see you ran your vac hose along the drag chain, how is that working? any static disconnect with it there? Great job thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ll get the files up in the morning. Today’s Project took too long.
The Vac hose on the drag chain is working pretty darn well. I was surprised I hadn’t seen others do it and I was kinda waiting for someone to point out why… I’m sure it adds a little more drag, but I have not noticed any performance issues. I posted a little about it and a video of it running here. (Vacuum Hose Management )

I did run a piece of bare braided copper down the inside of the length of the hose which is grounded inside the cabinet. No noticeable static on the hose.

1 Like

OK, Here are the drawing files for the Cabinet. I cleaned it up a bit, but it is still not a full tutorial. It doesn’t include the build of the drawers, but they are pretty standard. I did update the mounting point of the Gas Lift Support which was probably the biggest challenge… I you actually try to use these and have questions, please send them over…ParsonsCabinet.zip (146.6 KB)

3 Likes

Beautiful design and execution. Makes me a bit jealous… :wink:

Great design and build, very nice and well done.

At the bottom of your post you said you would take it outside for some paint when the weather warmed up. For GOD’s sake don’t paint it, clear-coat it with something, it’s a thing of beauty!

Yea, I get what your thinking. If I do that I might need to go back and make new door and drawer faces. I had made them with MDF for easy painting… we will see…

Something else that everyone might find handy is this switch cover that I realized I needed to prevent the accident of your knee hitting an important power switch. Simple but nice! I used 1/2" Polycarb.

cover.c2d (48.5 KB)

1 Like

Nice work, very well planed and built
I look forward to layout file if you decide to make available
Thanks

Very nice job,
I would be interested in your plans for sure.
I like the large access door, I am constantly bumping my head on my enclosure.

I’ve since added the switch cluster to turn stuff on from one spot and the suckit dust collector system, which I love.

I really like your design much much better than mine.

Pgallagher59@gmail.com if you feel inclined to share your plans.

The CAD files are posted in one of the Replies by me above. Let me know if you can’t get them. Thanks Brad

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.