8 Likes

Ice. Cold.

Take my money.

3 Likes

@Luke I’m hoping you’re saying “I’m not done yet!”

4 Likes

We’re not even close.

7 Likes

so eh when is the subscription service of “just ship it to me” launched?

1 Like

All good stuff here. Just as I was cogitating on making a “better” CNC from scratch. I think you might have saved me from that rabbit hole.

I would hope that the product roadmap will eventually include models with gcode controlled on/off, speed control at the least. You do not appreciate that until you have it.

Party on Carbide 3D!

4 Likes

I’m hoping overall height of the Shapeoko will not exceed 21.5" with the Z mod ??? :pray: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Been waiting for this upgrade, so excited for the upgrade kit to be released!

Ok, it’s live at:

and it’s available to begin purchasing with a machine right now.

Once we get the final upgrade bracket done (and the docs to go with it) we’ll put some in stock for upgrades.

9 Likes

Take my money. Also, am I correct that the clearance and z-travel of the HDZ and Z+ are equal?

If so, then really the only reason to buy the HDZ would be a heavier spindle or heavy duty metal machining?

1 Like

In post number 17 from a few days ago this was brought up:
"> A few more questions, what is the Z travel?

Is there an EasyTram mechanism with this?

Z travel is close to the stock belt Z.

The spindle mount allows easier tram adjustment but it’s not the same at the EZ Tram on the HDZ."

1 Like

Like @stutaylo I would also love to get a Shapeoko that has a larger work area, like 48"+ (maybe 50" x 50") so I could throw a half-sheet (48" x 48") of plywood on it and be able to cut it from edge to edge. I realize that for me, I’d have to build a bigger shed to hold it, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. :slight_smile: I am not interested in any additional height either, Just longer X and Y rails would make me happy.

6 Likes

Also wanting to know that the height will be.

Yeah I saw that post, I don’t see how that’s possible. Look at this image:

While the holes for the spindle mount (I think) are slightly lower on the Z+ there seems to be ~2" of more vertical travel when they are side by side.

A table here with Old Z, Z+, and HDZ would be extremely helpful. Things like Overall Machine Height, Z Clearance, Z Travel, Max Spindle Weight, Weight, Recommended Application… for row level data

2 Likes

No worries, the overall height of the machine with the Z+ is 470mm (18.5").

1 Like

The screw mechanism takes more room than the belt so you cannot use tht as a reference.

1 Like

@robgrz

Something I haven’t seen yet, is the force multiplied? :smiley:

With the XXL / Makita I have now, I can assume something like 10 to 15 pounds of downforce (maybe for drilling?) Will the force be with you/us? :smiley:

2 Likes

Backlash isn’t as big of an issue because it’s vertical and the weight of the router/spindle keep it at the bottom of the thread I guess you could say.

You still have axial cutting forces, much like a up-cut end mill can pull your stock up, a down-cut could push the spindle up (especially plunging/ramping in). Backlash in the x+y axis can cause unintentional movement on climb cutting, I’d imagine z-axis could too. Basically trade-offs with cost, as Rob mentioned, they are using a anti-backlash nut, however that is a wear (consumable) item as well.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.