Sharper edges on 3d stars

I am currently doing several 3D wavy flags and I’m curious if there is a way to get sharper lines on my raised stars. Is it possible to do just a contour finishing pass on the stars while following the 3d model? As of now I am just doing an additional 3d finish pass using a smaller ball mill and they look pretty good, just always looking for better.

TIA

C3D Kevin has a video on youtube about making stars. Not sure if it relates to 3d stars. Take a look.

2 Likes

3D models in CC leave a bit to be desired in the accuracy / tolerance department. They are not really 3D models, they are raster graphic (image) bitmaps / heightmaps. Each pixel represents a height based on it’s level of white → black. So there are 256 possible values. As the 3D object gets taller, the vertical resolution of each pixel gets larger.

Horizontal resolution looks like it gets 1mb for standard resolution, and 4mb for very high resolution regardless of the size. So the larger the part, the larger the pixels.

It stands to reason that you could get higher resolution modeling just the union with the stars, as opposed to the whole flag.

There is no 3D contour (profile), pocket or V-carve toolpath. (But it has been mentioned.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Yeah I did find that doing just the union with the stars with a smaller ball mill did make them better. A 3D contour or V-carve update in the future would be awesome.

Thanks again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.