Shortcuts for repeated flattening

I’ve done a bit of searching and don’t see this discussed.

I have times when I’m flattening a board and need to repeat the process. Usually it involves removing 0.02 or something and then need to do it again. The routine is to let the program run it’s course then jog and reposition, then ask for the same bit and check that. Not too big of deal but seems like there might be a shortcut to all that.

It should work to use a pair of:

• a file which makes a single pass
  • a quick action which jogs to current zero, then down by depth per pass and then sets the origin

The other thing you could do is to jog over your slab at various points, and use either feeler gauges or even a dial indicator strapped to the spindle to tell you just how much variation is in your material. Then you’ll know before you even start how many passes are needed. You could even have preset files for 0.02, 0.04, etc, and just let those run while you’re doing something else in the shop.

1 Like

You can disable the bitsetter for your flattening jobs - you know there’s only one bit involved.

Just be sure you restart CM when you disable / enable the bitsetter, and reset your zero after restarting.

Also, rather than re-positioning to re-set your zero, you could just enter a new value on the zeros tab.

If says Z is 6.5 mm, then just enter 7mm instead. There, your Z Zero is now 0.5mm lower.

1 Like

I disabled the bitsetter for a surfacing job back in the spring. I haven’t turned it back on.

I use the “Just type in a new Z” trick all the time. Just add the amount you want to remove to the current Z & run the path again.

Another option is to program the path 0.100 deep (or deeper) with 0.020 depth per cut, then just stop the program when it’s flat.

1 Like

In that scenario you have to catch it at just the right time. If you have a router, not the VFD you could put each of those .02 drops in a different toolpath and specify a speed change for the bit. The router will pause and ask for the speed change giving you time to check out the material. If you like it then stop the job. If not then ignore the speed change request and resume.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.