Simple 2 1/2 Hose Solution

Just wanted to share a dust solution that worked well and was now importantly dead simple. I had some super flexible anti static 2 1/2 hose that was difficult to use. I wanted a solution that would mount to the bench. The issue I had was it was super droopy and would move left to right around the spindle, which would inevitably cause wear. The solution was super simple: put a vertical piece right at the spindle so it’s far away from everything.

Below is my prototype. Worked like a charm. I’m going to make a hang man support next and probably secure the vertical piece with a 3d printed part.

Let me know what you think or if there are any suggestions.

13 Likes

Where did you source the clear tubing from? Last time I was looking into this it was a custom order from a specialty supplier (and kind of pricey, esp. considering shipping).

Lee Valley carries the clear 2.5” pipe and some fittings

From here, that clear tubing looks like a static generator.

1 Like

Amazon has the clear tube $7.44 for 30” long

2 Likes

I installed a short piece of clear I sourced at Woodcraft and it was the only time I ever had any communication disconnects, even with extensive grounding. Switched back to my original shop vac extension wand the com problems resolved immediately. It is not as sexy, but it works. Clogs have not been an issue, so why do I need to see it?

It’s a piece of mind thing for me — I wrapped a length of metallic foil tape the length of the (short) length I was using and it seemed to work well.

The clear tubing is from powertec on Amazon. I can’t comment on the static issue as of yet, but hopefully it’s not a deal breaker. If the clear tubing creates static issues, what kind of tubing can be used?

1 Like

Or you could deploy an anti-static hamster? :smiling_imp:

When I was a kid, I kept Gerbils for pets, and it’s tempting to revisit that.

For a hamster, point me to a miniature giant space hamster, and I’ll do my best to care for it.

https://www.shopforgeek.com/GAMES-BOBBLE-HEAD-POP-N-574-DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-MINSC-AND-BOO-177181.html

(and yes, I seriously considered getting one of those to go w/ my Baldur’s Gate physical game collection)

I honestly don’t care about being able to see the dust that much. The flexible portion is made anti-static being impregnating the plastic with carbon. Every time I search for dust collection tubes, the clear plastic ones always come up, and I’ve never found an anti-static variant. Do they have 2 1/2" metal that works as an alternative?

As per Will’s suggestion, a metal foil tape on the clear static generator sections, this should be grounded, an easy way to do this is to just connect each tape section and the conductive wire in the antistatic hose in series and ground one end. You probably want the tape on the inside of the tube where the static is generated.

There are also assorted anti static sprays which you could apply on the inside of the tube to reduce charge build up on the surfaces away from the metal tape.

I like the idea of wrapping it. The maximum voltage buildup is determined by the nearest grounding conductor so I think this would be a good solution. I don’t think a spray is necessary as charge buildup is inevitable.

Clear(ish) anti-static at:

https://ptreeusa.com/dust_hose.html

(it’s what I’m using at the moment)

Also picked up an opaque one from Woodcraft but haven’t had occasion to use it since the Fulton hose works fine.

That’s the flexible hose I already have on there. I need the rigid sections to make the solution compact. I know some people hang long runs from the ceiling, but I’m trying to avoid that as my bench is mobile.

1 Like

The key is to ensure that the discharge path is always easier via your grounding than via the machine frame to avoid the noisy disconnects. Remember to put the conductive tape down the inside of the tube or all you’re doing is proving the dielectric strength of the plastic pipe :wink:

1 Like

Instead of clear, the use of PVC plumbing pipe will surface nicely. Much more available and less costly form a big box store. If you want to try a 2" thin clear pipe check out the fluorescent tube covers in the electrical department of the big box stores. 4’ long for less than $3

1 Like

I actually paid ~$100 for a kit that had more than I’d ever need because I didn’t really know have a solution in mind yet. Now I’m left with a bunch of left over tubes, bends, and splices that I’ll probably never use. I don’t regret it, as I wanted flexibility to figure out a solution, but it wasn’t the most cost effective option. I’m not opposed to the white PVC by any means. I wonder if the clear stuff is also a PVC variant as I was able to join them with PVC cement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.