Simple Question/Carbide Motion 618 - Initialize Machine

Running Carbide Motion 618 now and I recently oiled, tightened everything up and adjusted belts. I did all my belt tightening via link that was shared which was wonderful and I got everything point on. I kept the machine off and when moving the gantry fully to the back or front I would slowly move it. I measured front and back on y rails with gantry at front and back to make sure the belts were perfect tension. Doing so requires you to move gantry fully back and adjust and then fully forward and adjust. Sooooo…… after adjusting and setting everything up and I connected my machine to Carbide Motion I clicked Initialize Machine and the gantry initializes and comes to the front left to try and measure the tool. So I automatically hit Stop and click Ok to park the machine. Now after which I click to Initialize Machine or turn the machine off and back on and everything works. Again I’m moving the gantry slowly by hand to keep from tripping anything.

Now prior to running Carbide Motion 6 I could do my maintenance which might require slowly moving the gantry and when I would turn everything back on, connect and initialize everything would work perfectly.

So from now on when making belt adjustments and tensioning should I just leave the machine on and do adjustments and not power off and slowly move gantry by hand?

And prior to using Carbide Motion 6 when I was finished and machine was finished I would just turn it off upfront via the machines power button. So from now on should I instead click Stop button in red on Carbide Motion window and choose Park?

With the machine on there is power to hold the steppers until commanded to move. I have used CM Jog and Rapid Position to move the the gantry for me.

1 Like

And you do this when measuring belt tension and adjusting belts with the power on? I don’t mind leaving the machine on and using the jog feature to move the machine forward or back to check tension and adjust but just checking.

And thank you for replying, I appreciate it. Maybe I’ll just leave machine on and using jog when taking belt measurements and adjusting.

Another big thing is is it ok to just turn the machine off via front power button once the job is finished and spindle has returned to the back? Or should I hit the Red Stop Button and click to Park machine? Previous Carbide Motion I would just turn off at the front once the finished and returned to the back. Carbide Motion seems to run a little weird so I’m just curious because of this.

Yes I have the machine on when checking belt tension. Off when I have to retension belts. Want the gantry to be able to move when I retension belts.

I have the XXL Pro, the button on the front right is how I shut off when done using the machine. The steppers hold while powered, it is a minimal amount of energy. BUT you can feel the steppers are warm after a while. Heat is the killer of electronics. Long periods or over night in my opinion is bad for them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.