Simple way of testing a basic continuity probe?

I have a Shapeoko 3 with the V2.4e board.

I’m not in a position to buy the official touch probe so I have connected a basic continuity probe to the probe input.

It works as expected and I am using a macro within Carbide Motion to set the correct offset for this particular probe.

I’m gcode senders I have used in the past triggering the probe caused something to pop up on the screen so it was easy to test it before actually probing.

I know I can use the debug screen in Carbide Motion to see when the input is triggered but I was hoping for something that didn’t require quite so many steps.

It’s going to be used in a community workshop and although users will receive some training I am trying to get it as simple for them as possible.

Can anybody advise on an easier way to test or on any solutions they have come up with?

In the settings screen of CM if you touch the ground to the puck it should show in the active inputs.

Yes, that’s the debug tab i was referring to in my first post.

I’m just hoping to find a more idiot proof solution if one exists.

The C3D one has led lights and your home made one does not. Since you figured out how to make your DIY one work figure out how to put an led in.

I have a V1 BitZero and they are on V2 now. In the 5 years I have had my SO3 with the BitZero it has never failed to work properly. The only times it did not work was because I left the magnet off or once the magnet stuck to the magnet on my dust shoe instead of the router collet.

The main issue with a new user would be to forget to attach the magnet. Maybe engrave or put a label on your puck about the magnet. That would help remind the user to put the magnet on. The C3D BitZero gives a couple of warnings on the screen. Can you incorporate a warning into your macros?

Unfortunately there is no way for an unsupervised beginner not to make mistakes. Glad you are trying to make it as foolproof as you can but in the end the operator has to know what they are doing. The only way that can happen is learning about the machine and in the end doing it and making mistakes and learning from those mistakes.

Good Luck.

After a quick rummage in my parts draw it turned out to be a lot easier that I originally assumed.

I now have an LED that lights up when the bit and plate touch so it’s quick and easy to test it before performing the actual probe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.