Simulate Chip Carve Massive Fail

I’m attempting to take an old chip carve pattern, downloaded from craftsmanspace.com and edited to remove what I believe were unnecessary lines. I even picked something that looked simple to start with. Despite spending several days, delving into the depths of svg and inkscape tutorials, running it through utilities like svgo, peering at node intersections until they all look alike, and numerous tries with both vcarve and advanced vcarve I just can’t get it to work. I’m using a 1/4" (aka 6.35mm) 60 degree V bit, and resized the image to 30mm so the bit will fit.

What I’m hoping to do is carve the outside circle, seems like it shouldn’t be too hard by raising and lowering the bit appropriately, and the individual petals (?), cut in each of the two outer corners and then up the center, in whatever order CC decides it wants. I uploaded the svg file.

I’ve tried selecting the whole thing, no success. Got a single center dot with vcarve, a mid-diameter circle with advanced vcarve. I then selected individual elements (shift-click of each of the three lines composing the outline), empty tool path. The outer elements (select outer circle, then inner arc) gets nothing that I can see.

I thought that this should have been pretty straightforward, but I’m clearly missing something. Help! svg and c2d files attached.

chip_carving_test4

test-chip-carve2.c2d (90.1 KB)

The svg doesn’t appear, at least in chrome, until you open the little dot in a new tab.

1 Like

The dot is your svg, just 8x11 pixels.

chip_carving_test4

The image is here:

https://community.carbide3d.com/uploads/default/original/3X/7/f/7f26e50f318301cf9f65ff4fb230440f4fb1181b.svg

The problem is that the lines are disconnected:

I documented drawing up and modeling a similar design at:

Looks like all yours would need would be a bit of additional geometry.

I believe this is the geometry you’d want:

While you’ve been commenting I’ve discovered that Carbide Create’s editor will zoom much further in than Inkscape, and just about worn out the mouse wheel zooming in and out. I’ve at least positioned the adjacent outer wiggle and leaf arcs as close as they can go, I zoomed in until the circle disappeared and backed off a hair, they’re overlapped within the resolution of CC’s editor. I looked hard to find a utility that would fix this, with no success. How to you join 3 or more paths, Inkscape’s join didn’t seem to do much (I used it on every one of the outside intersections). Just how close to you have to be to be considered the same point?

I’m off to read the linked post, thanks again @WillAdams

Here’s an actual carving similar to what I was trying to achieve. The original svg was scanned from a book so I expected the usual glitches. If I had dug a bit more I’d have discovered it’s called a swirl.

https://mychipcarving.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/5x5-classic-box-swirl-02.jpg

Okay, missing a bit of geometry and you’ll want to do things at an angle, not round.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

I may be missing a basic concept, but how do you get three lines to join up at an intersection if the nodes match up within the limits of CC’s zoom? The fu hasn’t been strong enough to find a tutorial that explains what I want to do (join the 3 lines), or if it’s even possible. My goal is that each of the swirls become a closed shape, I think, even though they share a common line with the adjacent one.

I’m not enough of a purist that I want to exactly match knife carving and get vertical cuts. I just like the look but not (so far) enough to order a set of knives and see if I can keep my fingers attached. 60 degree v carves are close enough.

Unfortunately, Carbide Create can’t do that. (join multiple lines to create a closed path)

I exported to an SVG, opened that in Inkscape, resaved as a PDF, sent that to Macromedia Freehand, fixed one, rotated it 19 times with power duplicate, then exported a PDF and reverted in Inkscape (left it open), then re-saved as an SVG.

Here:

7f26e50f318301cf9f65ff4fb230440f4fb1181b

or: test-chip-carve2.c2d (171.4 KB)

Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work. I’ll see what I can do with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.