Single Line Cut with Multiple Pieces - Joining Vector Problem

I have a feeling that there’s an obvious and simple solution for this problem…but I’m new to Carbide Create and I’m struggling with this one.

I have three duplicate parts that I would like to cut. Since the edges are straight, I would like to join the vectors and have one cut path (rather than two cut paths) where their surfaces touch. Using the Boolean Weld function doesn’t seem work on them nor do I have a join vector option.

Can someone help clarify if this is possible / what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks!

Cut Path Optimization.c2d (308 KB)

If I understand what you are asking correctly, the simulation seems to show what you want.
But I hope you plan to hold this down with tape.

I dont’ think that the weld would do what you want. It would connect all three shapes together. Although in this case it looks like the right most two are not close enough to consider.

3 Likes

What you want to do is position the pieces endmill diamet + 10% apart, then offset by that distance, then cut as a pocket down to tab height or the penultimate pass.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!
The simulation does seem to work, but I wasn’t sure exactly how to interpret the tool pathing for the inner shape. As of right now, it appears as though it would cut the full shape outline of each object.

While the final product would work, I was hopeful that I could decrease my cut time by cutting the full left object, only the top and bottom radius sections of the middle object, and then the full right object (thus finishing the straight line sections for the middle object).

Hmm, I’m not sure if I fully understand Will. I’m using a 1/4" endmill so I positioned the pieces linearly 0.275 apart from one another. I offset by that distance, but a pocket operation would just clear out everything in this setup - so I’m pretty sure I’m missing something! :smile:
I definitely would like to be able to use tabs like you said in-between these pieces to make sure they all stay put.

Again, just to clarify, the original version does work - I’m just wondering if there’s a way to speed up the cut operation by only cutting out the left object first, the top and bottom of the middle object, and then the full right object - if that makes sense.

//UPDATE//
I saw what my mistake was. I selected the off set along with the three pieces and ran a pocket cut like you had said. Looks like it works, but cut time is around 18 mins vs. the regular contour cut of 12 mins.

I’ll try a test cut tomorrow to see if the toolpath is in fact running back on itself like I’m suspicious of or if CC is smarter than I’m giving it credit for and it’s merging the toolpath where the overlap occurs for cut optimization.

Thanks for the help so far!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.