Slotting with a V-bit in MDF?

Hi,

I am cutting simple shapes from MDF, and I need a 60° bevel on all sides. I have a 60° V-bit, so I figured I could just use that, select the shape outline in Carbide Create and create a no-offset toolpath, with a depth equal to my stock thickness (1/4").

• does it make sense at all to use a V-bit or should I first cut the shape outline with a straight endmill, and then use a 60° chamfer mill around the outline in a second pass ?
  • if using a V-bit does make sense, what depth per pass and feeds & speed would you typically use for MDF ? It seems to me that they may not be the same values as one would use for a typical V-carving (where the V-bit tends to not go as deep as that)

Thanks,
Julien

1 Like

If you can outline first with your cutout tool but leave the piece secure, then run the bevel second, you’ll get a better finish. Also keep in mind that each side of a cutter is half the full angle of the cutter. So if you’ve got a 60 degree cutter and you use it to bevel the exterior edge of something, the bevel will be at 30 degrees.

Depending on the bit, you can probably take a .125"DOC at 30-40IPM and be fine.

1 Like

Thx Adam, I will try cutting the outline first, then use these params for the Vbit beveling pass. My initial tests using only the Vbit to cut the outline and make the bevel at the same time, looked fine but near the end (max depth/load on both flutes) produced a noise I am not quite comfortable with.