Small production run of wood rings 60" diameter

new to C&C
I need to make wooden compression rings for yurts. The rings are made of four layers of 2x6 spruce each layer consists of 8 segments mitered together with a outside radius of 30" and the inside edge remains straight. I just need the machine to cut 3 sides and leave the last alone. Im trying to figure out how to get the router to lift clear and rapid across the straight section.
My new to me shapoko 3 xxl with CC and CM.
Thanks in advance
Al

So if i understand this right your going to make 32 segments and glue them together after right?

Are you looking at cutting a whole segment with the cnc or just the round edge that will face the outside of the ring?

You shouldnt have an issue with the rapids as long as your retract height is above the work piece surface.

1 Like

Thanks mike,
Ill be cutting the miters on both ends and the outside radius. The arc tangent on the inside diameter will stay straight.
My problem is I cant figure out how to get the router to retract and fast forward across the inside arc tangent to clear the hold downs to complete the router track.

Tabs will only allow 4" long and I don’t seam to be able to chain them together.

I also can’t figure how to make a rapid that will automatically with the cut sequence.

It sounds like right now you have the shape, and your toolpath is a contour cut around it, yes?

It would help if you could upload the CC project you have so far.

The way to avoid the forth edge is to instead create a pocket around the other three edges, slightly wider than your endmill. Something like this problem, except instead of having two pieces, it’s just one:

Thanks Michael. I’ll give it a try in the morning. I’ve been at it since 4:30 this morning. Time for a little Jim beam now.

Im assuming your making something like this is the picture after a quick google search, looks like 8 pieces for this circle.

Since your going to be repeating this process 32 times i would approach it a different way if i was doing the project.

Lets say i cut 32 pieces of wood 13in in length prior to the start they will all be the same, assuming 5.5in in width due to your 2x6 stock. I would then draw a line on each piece at 6.5in or across the center, more on this later.

I would make my stock in carbide create to these exact dimensions. I would then make 2 lines. One to represent the miter on the left and the other for the right. Obviously these would be angled at whatever degree you calculate. I would then make a 30in radius circle and position it so a point on the circle is centered on the top edge of my piece. I would then trim the rest of the circle outside of this. After that i would assign an outside contour cut to these 3 sides. Would look something like this. Pink lines are my drawing, blue lines are the cut.

Now when i zero my first piece i would attach a scrap piece of wood or clamp and draw a line on it. I would use this to line up the center of each piece so i know its in the same spot. Id run the job and when finished swap in the next piece and hit run again. Like this.

1 Like

For large parts w/ critical dimensions/angles you’ll want to be certain you have calibrated for belt strech:

Is there a good time we could talk?

EDIT: removed phone #

Please use a Private Message to send any sort of personal information such as e-mail address or phone #

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.