Snowflakes in Florida on Christmas!

I figured I would post up some Christmas content, I hope everyone is having a great holiday!

I have been working on some gifts for family, they wont be here for another few weeks so these are still a work in progress. The top is mounted to a half inch bearing so it spins quite nicely with all the weight. These are hot off the machine no finishing. Still need to oil the Walnut after I epoxy the inserts, so they are looking a little pale…

23 Likes

Max,

Absolutely stunning as usuual

1 Like

Merry Christmas. Moved to Florida to avoid snow but yours is very nice to see.

Phil

2 Likes

This truly is beautiful. I do have one constructive comment.
Snowflakes are always with 6 points. Ice forms in a hexagonal crystalline form.

Still a beautiful design.

Thank you

2 Likes

I apologize Larry, I started with a 6 point design but it seemed too empty. I decided to add a few extra points to fill it in a little more. Did not mean to offend.

1 Like

“Always” is a strong word.

2 Likes

Those are so awesome!

I wish I had that kind of talent :smiley: I can do the work but lack the artistic creativity.

1 Like

I’m definitely not offended. It’s art and your stuff is beautiful.
Never say never, or always or for sure. LOL

3 Likes

Always producing great work and I love the contrast between billet aluminum and Walnut. What is the total machine time for roughing and finishing the large part of the snowflake? Also what were your machining strategies?

It looks like roughing was 3d adaptive constrained to a circle sketch but what route did you go for finishing?

1 Like

Hi @Able ,

It shows 27 hours but I think it is more like 36 actual per snowflake.
MT

The design has a slope starting high in the center and radiating down and out. Somewhat difficult to make toolpaths for. The snowflakes are carved out of 3/4" x 10" x 10" 6061.

I start with an Adaptive toolpath with a #278 1/4" single flute, and use a .02 stock to leave, but stop .1" from the bottom, leaving a solid floor. This helps to prevent chatter on contours.

I then use a #274 1/8" single flute for an Adaptive toolpath, and it basically goes back over every surface of the snowflake and cuts out the smallest corners which I carefully designed to be able to reach with the #274 with a .01 stock to leave.

I then slowly rough out the center with an Adaptive toolpath using the #274. and a .01 stock to leave.

I use a very fine step over with a 1/8" 2 flute ball nose using a Spiral toolpath to polish the tops smooth, then a quick contour using the #274 to shave the sides and afterward a Spiral to clean up the floor.

I then make one pass with a 1/4" 2 flute ball mill, using a spiral toolpath that matches the down slope, to surface the top of the Snowflake, I then run a Contour toolpath with a 1/8" 2 flute ball mill to shape the fillets.
I then follow up and make a finishing toolpath over the original spiral again, this time with a tighter stepdown/stepover, and this time using the 1/8 2 flute Ball mill. This gives a satin smooth finish on top.

I then finish cutting out the bottom with a pair of Adaptive toolpaths, using a #278 and then a #274 single flute.

And finally I cut down the remaining .01 stock to leave from the sides using a Contour toolpath and a #274, then last I trim off 4 of the remaining 8 tabs.

I was getting a small amount of variation on some edges. I plan to add a second finishing pass on the fillets, but of course this will also add a few more hours of machine time.

Hope this helps,
Any questions let me know!

11 Likes

Finished with walnut oil, ready to gift wrap…

11 Likes

Indeed Inspiring! Thanks Max.

1 Like