Snowy Owl inlay scene

This is an inlay in a box for a nephew. For scale, the moon is about the size of a penny. All done on a Nomad Pro.
IMG_3421

1. The oval is from Gaboon ebony stock I’ve had since my days as a luthier. It was left as a rectangle for subsequent inlay operations.
  2. The tree branches were inlayed first, the composite then surfaced in a drum sander.
  3. Pockets were then cut for the remaining components. A minor amount of work with a small blade was needed for a few square corners.
  4. The owl was then profiled from some “artificial ivory” stock then inlayed.
  5. The snow was cut from mother-of-pearl (underwater) and inlaid.
  6. The pinecones are cut from tropical tree “nut”, a bit of knife work used to incise the contours.
  7. The moon was milled from silver and inset.
  8. The composite was then run through the drum sander and the oval contour milled.
  9. The pocket for the oval was cut into the box top. Fortunately I tested the pocket cut first to find I needed to shrink the narrow width by 0.16 mm for a more precise fit. Not sure why this was needed, this is 50 year old wood under stable conditions.
  10. The top was drum sanded with 220 grit then hand sanded to 600 grit.
  11. the moon was sanded to 12,000 grit then anisotropy was introduced by swirling dowels with 6,000 grit circles of various sizes.
  12. The engraving was then done using a combination of 30° and 45° carbide drag bits in a spring loaded holder. This required anal attention to alignment.

In general, pockets were cut about 0.05 mm oversize using duplicated mills which claimed to be 0.10 mm undersized. I originally intended to add needles using a powered stone filler and CA glue but abandoned that for a reason that now escapes me.

24 Likes

spectacular as always!

Thanks! Having one more niece in the queue, I’ve got at least one more box in me.

3 Likes