So far it's been not as easy as I thought

Ok, I’m new with Shapeoko. The machine seems to work just fine but CC and CM and I still have our disagreements. First the crashes with simulations and now I can’t get it to do a simple job. When I do exactly the same job on my 4XL using Easel and UGS it all just works fine. The machine does what I’m asking it to do. When I do the same with CC and CM it’s speaking a totally different language. We don’t get along. I’ve broken 4 small bits today and I’m not happy.

CC → make a simple file in CC, create toolpaths, use the right bit settings, save file.
CM → Load file, use my XYZ probe to set at zero, run file…

Machine asks me to change the bit, I already did that so resume. Machine moves as slow as it can, even hard to see. Backs up, raises the bit and done…

With Easel and UGS it all seems so much easier, create file, carve settings, safe GRBL, open UGS and run, no issues… Why is everything working great when I don’t use CC/CM, is it a totally different way of thinking, different process, I don’t know.

Please share with us a pair of equivalent projects which are intended to accomplish the same thing, but which works for you in Easel/UGS, and doesn’t work for you in Carbide Create/Carbide Motion, and let us know step-by-step how you are securing your stock, setting zero relative to it, managing all tool changes, and running the files.

I will do that later, right now I’m very happy with the 4XL, I have managed to make very small and precise cuts (in painted acrylic) with a small V-bit, clear text even as small as 5mm. Most I do is panel making and this machine is so much more accurate than the cheap machine I used before. So for now I have decided to keep using Easel and UGS for now, it works fast and easy. It’s all probably because I’ve worked with these programs before and I can’t get CC and CM to do an easy job plus it keeps crashing on the simulation. But I will definitely try it again soon and document the process.

Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.