SO3 & ArtCAM Toolpaths

Im really not sure and i havnt used mach 3 with it,i was using the carbide motion and pretty sure i chose the *Nc for the output

I’ll try the *.nc later tonight and let you know. Thanks again! -M

Well right now im kinda doing a few things but how about after dinner ill go sit down with it and see what i can put together for you,look for the *Nc one tho for now

Ok sounds like a plan,i will def msg you later about this

The .nc post processor didn’t work either. I don’t think these are related, but I’m also seeing some communications problems right now, been looking at advice from my other thread about grounding and I’m starting to think there’s a problem with my arduino board on the S03.

When I run a grbl file from a previous job, it runs, but at some point I get the comm error (unresponsive CNC), when I run anything I’ve output from ArtCAM, it really appears to bung up instantly. Depending on the tool it says invalid tool path or unsupported code, or just sits there and tells me that there are commands in the queue.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Michael

I still havnt had a chance to play around with it,try .Tap…also what version is your board?

I didnt have time to run anything but i did find my old reliefs and they are .TAP so thats what i ran it as in carbide motion,hope this helps

I’ll try that tomorrow, thanks again! -M

I had trouble using ArtCam with my Nomad 883 - I tried many of the suggested post-processors in working with the ArtCam folks but nothing worked. I eventually just had them make me a post processor for my machine (cost $ 75) and it worked fine with the first try. It was totally worth it to avoid further frustration. The ArtCam folks are very easy to work with.

Is that a licensing fee or something?

Will they now make that available to all their customers, or will each customer be required to pay an additional $75?

Are you using a shapeoko or grbl .9 setup?

If so would you be willing to share that post processor?

I don’t think it’s a licensing thing but I don’ know that for a fact. The Nomad is pretty new on the CNC scene so ArtCam hasn’t had to make a special processor before. I would assume that it will be available as a saving option in the future for ArtCam files on their update. Try emailing them to see if they can send it to you…

I’m using grbl for a Nomad 883. Not sure what Shapeoko uses.

Ok as i said its .Tap to run artcam to so3 when i started my test model i did choose mm not inches but im sure you can choose either just be sure to use (Gcode Arcs .tap) and pick mm or inches what ever you started the model in,If you make a project in mm you want the Gcode Arcs (mm) .tap as pictured.If you started your project/model in inches you want to pick Gcode Arcs (inches) .tap …Hope this helps, it does work and there isnt a need to spend $75 for so3 users.Really not sure what other info i can provide about it but if you still cant figure it out just contact me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually I was just able to do a test run without errors with .tap. Nothing fancy, just a quick dry run to check if it threw any errors.

Took me this long because I had another issue I was fixing. hardware issue, carbide sent me a new board, which turned not to be a hardware issue but an OS 10.11 (el capitan) issue. I think it’s related to the arduino El Capitan issue but none of the suggested fixes worked. So I had to rebuild a Windows system and blah blah blah complicated stuff to get macs and pcs to get along.

To sum up, .TAP works, thankyou very much for all your help!

You’re welcome,post some pics when you finally get your project done :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help! I finally have a run that’s 75% there. Woohoo!

1 Like

Ohh Thats really nice :wink:

@mhujsak what bits did you use for this?

Edit: i cleared with 1/4" ball and then finished with the same.

Trying to figure out finishing strategies now. With the spiral on this attempt there are still some areas of…not clean cuts. Almost a little fur from certain angles/passes. You can see some scruffiness on some passes coming from west to south (counterclockwise motion).

I have another on finished raster that I’ll post, that was using the 1/8" ball.

I’m still getting that fir on some areas (under the neck, chin, armpit and stomach. Here’s the photo:

1 Like