Some please confirm

I’m importing an STL in CC Pro and I wanted to confirm the function of the “Angle” parameter. Does simply rotate the imported STL while still keeping it centered in the bounding geometry? Or, does it impact the size of the object or interact with the 3D Orientation setting?

Here’s what I’m trying to do:
I’m importing an STL which, when it sits in its natural orientation upon importing will be wider (‘X’ component) than the bed of my XXL. Like this:

NOTE: The red dashed line represents my bed size. You can see where small portions of the imported object cross over the line (middle-right; bot-left). I’m not concerned about the ‘Y’ component, because I can use Tiling to manage that. But I can’t Tile the ‘X’ direction (that I’m aware of).

However, if I select the ANGLE option (in this case, 10 degrees), I can rotate the object and make it fit within the bed (barely)

and now I can Tile the ‘Y’ component.

My hope is that the Angle does not impact the 3D Orientation - and that the object will be IDENTICAL to the unrotated version otherwise. By measuring, it SEEMS to be the same - but can someone who knows the code confirm that it is the same?

Thanks,

• Gary

If you are concerned about it you could do that rotation in MS 3D Builder instead.

1 Like

Angular rotation of the XY plane around Z won’t change the 3D model.

Agree w/ @CullenS that rotating in a 3rd party tool will confirm that and arguably afford more control.

It looks like the model is ‘auto-scaled’ when it is first imported to completely fit within either the workpiece or a selected object.
After that, changing the view or rotation doesn’t affect the scale.

Looks like 7-8° would get you the most wiggle room :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.