Something new for me

So my wife wants this mirror, but wants it out of wood. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to design this. She wants the outside edges to be 44 inches X 32 inches. If I can carve out 4 sides, I can easily join them as a frame for the mirror.

Any help getting started would be great!


1 Like

It should just be a matter of drawing each “stone” outline, offsetting a bit to create a surround, adjusting the outlines for an organic appearance, then offsetting some more, judiciously drawing in the additional geometry, then modeling in 3D.

Probably if one did epoxy one could do each colour individually and allow them to have a rounded appearance and not need to flatten.

1 Like

Once I create one of the stones, I think I can copy it and then just modify it randomly.

1 Like

Frame.c2d (92 KB)
Will, Something like this?

1 Like

1 Like

Frame.c2d (164 KB)
Check this out.

1 Like

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing how the toolpaths and cut turn out!


I can’t get this to stop happening when I add components to the center of the cutouts

You need to be careful of re-using geometry — offset to one side or the other.

I see.


I offset it .05 and I recreated it. Will this carve out a gap or no?

It will cut according to the settings of the 3D toolpaths and how they interact with the selected tooling.

See:


Not too bad. I used a 1 inch piece of stock, poplar. I wanted the piece to be thicker and not cut as much off the top. If I add some base to it and do a little math, i feel I will accomplish my goal.

Any suggestions?

2 Likes