Sounds like a church organ

Newbee, I picked up a 2018 XXL which ran fine when tested before purchasing. When I set it up in my shop it makes a strange sound when both the X and Y are working at the same time. Sounds like a church organ scaling up and down. The unit also seemed to really struggle with doing a circle.
No router was connected or running as this was just during start up testing.
The v wheels all seem fine, and nothing seems to bind when I move the axis by hand,
I am using Motion 3 vs 5 as the laptop I have is still windows 7. I know,
Questions:
Could this be a software issue with as I believe the machine runs GRBL 1.1
Could it be an issue with the power supplied
Thanks for any help

Not to discount any actual issue that may exist, but I have to mention one thing. 99.9% of the time when my cnc is operating, I have a 6hp shop vac running next to me, the router screaming, and the dust filter going. Sometimes my Worktunes on also. So it was interesting the first time I ever did any ā€œofflineā€ testing, operating only the cnc in a dead quiet shop at night, while I was learning grbl. I heard noises I wasnā€™t expecting, but made senseā€¦ like the steps of the stepper motors on the different axes. The slower the motor moves, the lower the pitch and vice versa. A circle or arc will move both the x and y, but depending where in the path, the specific motor along that axis will be going faster or slower, changing the pitch along the way. When I did my rapid positions in axial directions, they sounded fineā€¦ just some science happening.

Maybe your issue is something completely different. Out-of-square machine, eccentric nuts or belts too tight, or something else. Just another thought.

1 Like

I realize most people might never hear anything over the router and dust collection. Still seems odd, and have never heard anything like it when watching any video. Today will try a clean power line to the unit and see if it makes any difference. I have a bunch of led lights on the same circuit and sometimes they can be a problem.

Iā€™d guess that what youā€™re hearing is normal. The steppers are very musical.
My students love when I make our 3D printers play songs. Iā€™ll play one on my SO3 tonightā€¦any requests?

Is the motion struggling? Whatā€™s the evidence of that?

2 Likes

Note that you can make specific sounds out of the machines using

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all seen the ā€˜Imperial Marchā€™ version on floppys, but Iā€™m an 80ā€™s fan :joy::
ā€˜Take On Meā€™

5 Likes

Yep,

Thereā€™s a distinct sound to an adaptive ramp & clear, especially on the big machines which is immediately recognisable. The tune the machine plays is the best way to know if itā€™s happy or not.

1 Like

This would be great!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.