Sounds suppression, XXL bed flatness, and other musings

Maybe an ESD mat is in order, along with a wrist strap every time I go in my garage, haha!!!

There’s some (maybe very little) method to my madness with the foam.

a) To hopefully squish a little along the bottom of the frame where the little welded on nuts are.

b) To (again hopefully) keep my table from turning into a kettle drum from the vibrations of the machine.

I currently have 1" rubber isolator between my leveling feet and the frame, which seem to help with item b, I don’t want to give that up.

If all else fails I can easily revert back and try something else, it’s a pretty inexpensive experiment.

Thanks,

Dan

b) Dynamat (or one of it’s cheaper knock-offs) under the top of the bench (instead of on it) would probably be more effective at keeping it from resonating.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike, sounds like a plan. Can’t do it right now, helping a disabled vet redo his roof, I can wait. But that’s a good explanation.

Well I moved my XXL today after work with some help from my son. I ended up with just the two layers of foam and no leveling feet. Unfortunately it’ll be awhile before I can complete the project and run a dial indicator around on it as I’m still moving houses and I still need to get my garage arranged so I can get the electrician in to run the garage circuit. Who builds a house with one outlet in the garage that’s tied in to interior bathrooms and such? Anyways I hope to report back soonish with my findings.

Dan

1 Like

Welp I’ve been at the new house quite a bit, but still have to get the electrician out to run the garage circuit, so I haven’t (still) had a chance to find out the outcome of the flatness project, I HAVE however made some more musings about this project while I assembled the rest of my garage, so here goes:

The topic of static above made me start thinking. I’m an engineer by trade, the mechanical type, and also color blind, so thinking about electrons is really something I shouldn’t think about much, haha!!! I don’t recall ever having a disconnect, and not that I haven’t tried. I have a shopvac, which powers a cyclone dust collector, I’ve had wiring (including the USB cable and power cable) running UNDER the bed of my XXL, lots of plastic, lots of places for static to build, and yet I’ve never had a disconnect, or explosion, fire, bad things, demons summoning, nothing. Oh, and I have similar rubber mats on the floor. There’s two things I can think of that have (possibly) saved me from myself?

1. I have a later (Summer 2016) C3D board, 2.4c I believe, which from what I’ve read is much better at handling disconnects.

2. I run a UPS similar to this(Mine isn’t that exact same model, but close. I believe mine does a true sine rather than simulated?):

I run everything through that with exception of the shopvac. So I’m wondering if this has saved me? Maybe some of the electrical types on here can chime in, please:)

I did buy at one point some copper tape that I planned to put on my dust boot, then a bare wire through the vacuum hose, ground to dust collector, yada yada yada, but never had an issue.

Replies and more musings appreciated,

Dan

1 Like

Phase 3 or is it phase 33, I’ve been so busy I’ve lost track?

Last weekend I tidied up 28 (seven 2 gang boxes)new electrical outlets to the garage project, getting closer to setting up the XXL with a fresh bed so I can see if there was a gain by dumping the leveling feet and adding the foam underneath. I’ve been slowly getting there, but after all the garage isn’t the only room in the new house and I still haven’t moved from the old one. Anyways thought I’d share a little of my garage process:

2 new 20 amp circuits in the garage:

And finally bit the bullet and ordered a Fein vac to pull through my dust deputy:

Someday I’ll be almost done, haha!!!

Dan

4 Likes

Nah, see Rule #9 at Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Rule #9 — There is always one more part which you need, one more run to the hardware store which must be made, one part out of stock at this store (but hopefully in stock at the next), one more upgrade which will make your machine perfect. You know you’ve gone wrong (or right) when they know your name at the hardware store and ask how your project is going.

2 Likes

Hence the “almost” in almost done.

Dan

2 Likes

A Workshop Project has nothing to go with Horse Shoes, hand grenades…or the word “done”! As my last experience demonstrates, entering the workshop is also entering a portal for an obvious void in the time/space continuum, as hours become minutes regularly… I think it is the gravitational pull of the enthusiasm times the focus that ultimately the goo time gets up caught in…

2 Likes

Done is certainly not a word I use often unless it’s the end of the day and I say,“I’m done!”.

I still have air lines to drop in the garage and (finally) this coming Friday I’m getting my backyard shed installed so stupid things like the lawnmower can be removed from my workshop. The only things I want in the new garage that aren’t tools is materials and my motorcycle!

Dan

3 Likes

My little workshop is in the shed out back, it’s taken 5 years for my son to stop calling it a shed and referring to it as “Dad’s Workshop”. All references to “Garage” must be eliminated before a car gets inadvertently “STUCK” in your “Workshop” . Motorcycles are a perfect compliment for a “good” workshop atmosphere, they should never be parked in any old garage where some car type person could … no banish the thought. Apples are apples because everybody calls them apples, what is that large enclosed space at the end of “your” house ?

2 Likes

It’s my shop/motorcycle display area;-)

Dan

3 Likes

DO you have any type of machinery that could cut out an appropriate sign ? Your in Texas, so it better be big, hey you could hang it from the rails that used to guide the overhead door that you replaced with a sign so no one could drive a car into your shop/motorcycle display area. When you need to bring something large into your shop/motorcycle display area than just raise the four panel sign that rides on those unused rails. “That ain’t no door, that’s my sign”. Best of luck. Jude

1 Like

I’m thinking spike strip, with a narrow opening to allow motorcycles to pass, but too skinny for cars, thoughts?

Dan

1 Like

Definite progress here, Dan… and are we really ever done?

3 Likes

No Bastardized bicycles here! …though I will admit to having bought a DVD a full set of plans for the XR3, I do like motor cycles-more than I am comfortable with, Just got hit on one early enough in life to see Darwins warning to me about other drivers here…
…I call MY lump at the end of the house The 4bar Garage because without 4 atmospheres of forced induction there is absolutely no way I could get everything in it! Actually though, My XXL in an annex, a 10x20 Jalousie porch(to be enclosed) I am setting up!

Do you mean there is still one more project to do ? Each time one of the kids moved out, AS they were packing, I was moving in machinery. "Stack your stuff by the door of my new work room, please " .“What do I do if I want to move back?” “You want to live in my workroom !?” 35 yrs ago the first workshop I started to build, I had only laid out the bottom sill plates for the walls and when I got home from work, the square was full of bicycles and yard toys, it never got built. Not sure what an XR3 is but I had a 7 ft long 21 speed low riding racing tricycle that I rode to work and everywhere, 40 mph down the main road and with my (then) long hair and (now) longer beard, people would lock their car doors AS I rode pass in the other direction . I could hear the electric locks clicking. What were they thinking?? This topic should be titled “A musing musings”.

1 Like

My monsters are 9 and 11…not quite ready to kick to the curb!

XR3

Very A musing!

OP Content, I am reading what everyone has done to make one dust/fume collection treatment plant…

2 Likes

Yes, one is truly never done as there is always another project, improvement, or hack on the “list”. I work in the software world and we are truly never done, so that same attitude extends outward.

1 Like

(Darn, isn’t there an option to reply as a new topic?)

On the software front, I will note that one of my favourite tools, is pretty much considered finished, Dr. Donald Knuth’s TeX — there’s even a provision for all bugs being declared as features when he passes away (METAFONT which I’m still learning has the same proviso). Hopefully will be using METAPOST for some projects in the near future though.

The XR3 is interesting — looks a lot like the Elio.

Building a recumbent tricycle w/ pedal and electric is a back burner project for me as well.

1 Like