Sourcing a y motor plate for shapeoko 3

Hey everyone,

I looking for 2 y motor plate because I got some spare parts and wanting to out together a unit. Carbide just told me they phase out the so3 and those plates are not available.

What are my options?

1. Make them my self ? How thick of aluminum plate I need to make sure it’s sturdy .

2. Can I buy it from someone or somewhere ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated

Have a wonderful day

I cant give a specific site but I have seen people selling taller plates. Have you checked etsy.com ?

Found this reference for drawings

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Drawings

If you are familiar with Fusion360, there are Shapeoko models floating around, I would probably just try and mill them out of 3mm aluminium (such that they are the same thickness as the original ones). I suspect (but have not tried) that 3mm would be rigid enough.

1 Like

Even when SO3s were in production, the Y-axis plates were not available separately since they are the parts which allow folks to turn the leftover parts from an SO3 → XXL upgrade into a complete machine (by adding a controller, Z-axis, and motors, and V wheels, &c.).

The plates are 10 gauge sheet steel ~9/64" (~3.429mm) — I don’t think a thinner sheet of alu. will be sufficiently rigid, and it would require making up the difference in thickness somehow.

As Julien and Will say, the Y plates are steel sheet and fairly solid, there are welded / pressed in nut thread inserts too.

You could make it out of a good Aluminium alloy but, as said, you’d be using a thicker plate (10mm or so) and machining rebates into it to clear the ends of the X rail, stepper motor and probably a few other bits. It’s do-able definitely, I’ve machined more complex stuff for my @DanStory inspired rails upgrade on my SO3 XXL but maybe don’t make it your “learn to cut Aluminium” project like I did :wink:

Alternatively, you could just take the leaf out of Dan’s book and make some custom end plates to ride on some eBay / AliExpress linear rails.

I have a model which is approximately correct for the Y plates but I would not say that it’s accurate enough to fabricate from, I took some of the measurements whilst the parts were still on the machine.

You’re probably going to need a working CNC or access to one to make these parts up.

edit - just noticed Julien said 3mm, I think the need to have the threaded holes in the plate means thicker than that or threaded inserts.

1 Like

yeah, good point…did not think of those

1 Like

thanks everyone for your reply. It seems like I will have to make’em since buying it doesn’t seem like an option. The link seems to be dead.

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Drawings

has anyone made their own y motor plate?

Are you talking about these?

4 Likes

See:

https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5996&start=20#p53977

1 Like

yes, they are exactly it

Forum member since 18? Give me your address, pay it forward.

6 Likes

ya, I bought the original SO3 #0005 a long time ago.

A big fan of this machine but now I need the y axis motor plate for another custom build project. School related :slight_smile: .

I will DM you.

1 Like

Thanks WillAdams you are always so resourceful with all the helpful links :slight_smile:

Wow 0005! You were hovering over the buy now button on release day or what, ha ha

My friend was a fanatic but he no longer into CNC anymore, I bought it off him. I did build the Shapeoko 2 prior so I am family with the system. Then life got busy and didn’t get the time to play with it and now I am back :).

I always appreciate everyone in the forum being so helpful :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Just want to say thanks to @CNCInspiration for willing to send me those spare Y plate of his and everyone else for their tips.

Love you guys for always being so helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.