Specify each tile size

I designed a Balsamic vinegar barrel rack for a friend. He has 5 barrels of different sizes.
It’s 10’ long with slots for the barrels. I didn’t want the slots for the barrels to be between the tiles because I didn’t think I would be able to line them up precisely.
It would be great if each tile could be a different size.
I did get it to work work but it was difficult to come up with a tile size that would cut the slots without being in 2 different tiles.
Is there a way to specify the tile size of each tile…

tileTest.c2d (2.0 MB)

Not in the current implementation.

I suspect that arbitrary tile sizes would be:

• difficult to work up from a GUI programming aspect
  • potentially confusing to folks

but of course, would be delighted for the developer to prove me wrong.

1 Like

A thing that I have found very helpful is to overlap my tiles by 1".

I have done a few tiling jobs “mostly” successfully. One issue is the placement of the piece between moves has to be perfect.

I went with a dowel system. I drilled four .5" dowel holes in each tile and 4 into my waste board.

This project was done in Vectric and I was able to use a 1" tile overlap.
I also used a fence on the left-hand side to keep it straight.

I have not used CC for any tiling jobs, yet.

Which machine? What is your Y range of motion?

I think if I were doing this, I would skip the tiling function & do it the old fashioned way.
You have 7 distinct decorative features along the board, as well as the 6 cutouts for the barrels.
I would set it up so each ‘feature’ is cut in a single setup. (Or several if they fit.)

Keeping in mind that when you “Set your zero” on the job on the machine, you do NOT have to set the value to zero. You can type in whatever value you want. You have your “zero” in the design in the center. I would likely put mine in the lower left, but it is truly arbitrary.

Figure out which chunks you can fit in a setup, and pick a point you will call your “zero” for aligning that chunk. Write down the coordinates, and use that as your “zero”. For example, with the zero at the center, the lower left corner is -4.0, -60.0. Your next index point might be -4.0, -51.0

First cut

Second cut

Since no 2 objects have to fit together perfectly, you could mark your index points with a tape measure & pencil. Set up a fence along the left side to slide the part along, and Just reset Y when you move it. :wink:

1 Like

I have 32" max, but I always stay with 30". I liked the tile feature because I only need one drawing. I did one the old fashion way. Can’t remember how many drawing it was. The tile system worked better for me. I had to move one of the barrel slots about 1/4" to make it work. It just would have been a lot easier if each tile could have had a different size.
I tried to make drawings that were the right size to fit.
Thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

There is no one “right” solution. Whatever works best for you.

Although my solution only needs one drawing as well. The catch is getting used to setting your “zero” to a point that’s not “zero”. And keeping track of the index points each time you move the part.

Another option is to use a G-code Ripper.

https://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.