Speeding up workflow for painted and clear coated engrave projects

I’ve not seen any references to PreCat lacquer in the forum so I thought I’d do this little write up to make folks aware of its versatility.

As a consequence of a recent project I’ve been commissioned to make 36 engraved coasters. In 2days.

I’ve not done this exact sort of thing in the past but looking around the forum here I was able to come up with a process. My big concern was finishing time. Didn’t see how it could be done with products requiring hours/days to dry.
I’ve used PreCat lacquer spray for many years on various furniture projects, no reason it won’t work for this. Very durable finish and drys in 30 minutes. Next problem, paint. Google, Rust-Oleum Lacquer at HD. Drys in 30 minutes, I sanded in 45, worked fine.

So, I cut six at a time and thanks to the BitSetter was able to run all toolpaths in series. First cut is 1/4 30 Degree V-bit then 1” 60 degree V-bit bevel then 1/8” flat for cutout. 27 minute runtime. Oh, wood is Sapele, cut at ~0.3” on the bandsaw then run through my planer for a final thickness of 0.25”. Since DOC for the engrave path is only 0.035” it is critical that the two pieces being machined back to back are the same thickness.

A few pics:

12 Likes

So…carve, paint (black Lacquer), sand, clear lacquer? Or was the clear applied before the paint too?

1 Like

I tried some clear first while I was tweaking the process. I couldn’t see any difference so I eliminated that step. It may depend on wood species, open vs closed grain?

4 Likes

I’ve tried what you’re saying, but in my case the black always darkened the surrounding wood that was sealed with a clear coat even as I wiped it off. Is there a secret?

1 Like

Look great. Yep, the lacquer dries quick. I’ve used some automotive wheel lacquer on some items and it dries way quicker than some other brands.

Sorry, not a clue, first time I’ve tried this particular thing. A little confused by your mention of wiping off…

Seems odd though. Hard or soft wood? How many coats of sealer? I didn’t use any. We’re you using a mask of some sort or did you sand off the high points as I did?

I’ve done that too. If you clear coat, carve, paint. You can usually wipe the overpaint (with mineral spirits), but it’s unnecessarily stressful.
@CrookedWoodTex, Griff doesn’t wipe…he uses a sander. :astonished:

2 Likes

@Griff did you use use a mask first or did you apply blue painters tape to define your painting area after you carved?

I had good results with the shelf liner mask last week but I must say that your intricate carving may make masking difficult.

1 Like

Damn, that sounds like it would hurt! :smiley: Oh, I get it now. The black goes first, sand it off, then put on the lacquer coat. Yeah, I’ve got a painted project waiting for that process now.

@Griff I’ve tried just the opposite by sealing first. I see how you are doing it.

1 Like

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how his process went.

Engrave -> Paint black -> Sand -> Lacquer

Right @Griff?

1 Like

Nope, no mask. I too picked up a roll of shelf liner but haven’t used it yet.

Yes, the tape defines the paint area, just that much less to sand off.

1 Like

Yes indeed…

Sounds tedious and maybe messy? Painful as it may be, I prefer to sand…

1 Like

I feel the pain, sorta… I only did 12 :wink:

1 Like

So, even though everyone has said it before, I need to say it again so it sticks in my brain at the correct angle. Carve, paint, sand, seal? I did a ton of ornaments year before last, but I sealed first, carved, painted, sanded, sealed again. When I didn’t seal first my paint soaked into the wood outside the carved area. Maybe it was the paint I was using? Did quite a few more this year, but I laser engraved, sanded, sealed, painted, sanded some more, then sealed again. For both I used minwax spray poly and brushed acrylic craft paint for color, maybe it’s time I upped my game and tried lacquer:-)

Dan

2 Likes

Dan, good to hear from you again, I see you’ve been busy with your laser!

Yes indeed.

This is my first attempt at painting engravings so I’m by no means an authority on this. All I know is the black lacquer dried very quickly so I’d guess that prevented it from soaking in to the wood. I used lacquer because of a time constraint, couldn’t wait hours for paint to dry.
The other “trick” here is using the pre catalysed clear lacquer as a final finish. Each coat dries quickly, I pushed it a bit and was able to put down 5 coats in 2 hours outside in the sun…70 degrees here the past few days luckily.

3 Likes