Speeds and feeds Ultem 1000

I’m new to this, but I’m getting closer to where I want to be with the process. I’m wondering what would be good speeds and feeds for Ultem 1000, Ultem is 1/2 inch thick. I’ve got the starter endmill pack and the Nomad 3. Is there a calculation I could use or an information table that applies to machines like the Nomad 3? Thanks!

@KevBarn14 recently did a video which mentioned this:

fast-forward to 2:20 or so

1 Like

Probably worth starting with the default speeds on carbide create for hard plastic? I haven’t machined it yet though personally.

Probably! Just anxious to mess stuff up haha

Good information, much appreciated! Is there a place for calculating the best feeds and speeds? I know it’s a very large subject with a lot of variables. What would be a safe place to start, the ones in the tools in the carbide tool library? I think I’m very close to getting this project off the ground finally.

For an overview see:

there’s been a fair bit of discussion here as well, and I hope @wmoy adds Ultem to his video series on materials:

2 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated! Should I worry about air coolant for these types of materials? I was thinking of making the 3D printed vacuum attachment which would help with the chips.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.