Spindle / 5 PRO / Europe

Hello everyone,

I come to you because I am waiting for delivery of the 5 Pro model which should arrive within a few weeks…

I am in France and I would like to associate the 5 pro with a quality spindle, to avoid using the Makita which makes a lot of noise…

Do you have a model to recommend that runs on 220 Volts?

I know the carbide VFD pin is great, but having to use a transformer doesn’t reassure me.

Thank you in advance for your feedback :slight_smile:

Jerome

Please write in to sales@carbide3d.com — I know we have an 80mm diameter spindle in development for the SO5 Pro, and I’m hopeful that it will be 110/220V auto-switching (or have a manual switch?)

I do have to admit that I use a European 220V spindle on one of my machines — a Mafell FM 1000 WS:

https://produkte.mafell.de/develope/en/mortising/milling-motor/milling-motor-fm-1000-pv-ws

it was something of an indulgence (I was doing so many test cuts at the time it felt as if I was spending more time wrenching than the machine was cutting), but has worked out surprisingly well — I’m still debating about making an adapter plate for my SO5:

it works well, despite the nuisance of needing a 110–220V step-up transformer.

If you’re interested, I could push that up the priority stack.

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand correctly, you use a 220V Mafell pin at home?
Can it be mounted on the SO5?

And you are on 110V where is the 110-220 transformer?

I’m going to buy carbide to see the potential 80MM spindle, see when it will be available.

I can’t wait to receive my CNC, in the meantime I still have the cutters to buy and a good spindle…

Correct. I use a 220V Mafell on my SO3 XL at home.

It will require that I work up an adapter plate to mount it, and then I’ll need to work out how to make it work with my Sweep Pro dust boot.

I have a 110V–220V step-up transformer on a table next to the machine (I need to hang it off the underside of the plywood the machine is on) — the spindle is plugged into the transformer, the transformer is plugged into my Festool CT Midi, and that is plugged into a 20-amp outlet which has a dedicated line from my circuit box.

Well, seeing what you have to do and being a beginner, I will try to find a simpler solution.

I have a Makita (well a Chinese copy…) which will have its day…

Basically I wanted the VFD pin from Carbide but they recommended against it with a transformer…

So I’m a bit stuck because I don’t know the remaining options…

I will contact carbide for “the new version”… and otherwise gentlemen, I’m listening to you :slight_smile:

Jerome

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.