Spindle for so5 pro and laser

Hello everyone,

I’m French and I’ve been wanting to change my router for the VFD spindle for a while, but it’s taking a while to come out of carbide in a 220v version…

I’m about to buy a Vevor 1.5kw air-cooled spindle.
but unavailable at the moment…

do you have any particular opinions?

I would also like to add a laser engraver to my shapeoko 5 pro to improve my creations, does anyone have a model to recommend?

thank you in advance and have a good evening

I use a Mafell FM 1000 WS, which I picked up as an indulgence.

The unit itself is great, but still working out dust collection.

1 Like

Two lasers that can be added to the your cnc that are popular are the J-Tech and Opt lasers.

Vevor makes and sells a lot of products. However they are very mysterious about who and where they are. Obviously most of their products are made in China but trying to find out who owns the company is very hard to do. Not knowing who they really are would give me pause. Vevor is all over Amazon here in the US and likely in France as well.

Just be aware that Vevor could disappear at a moments notice because of their business practices and hiding who owns them. As long as you are comfortable with the very shady business practices of Vevor who has gone through many many shell companies here in the US. Shell companies are a way to obscure who actually owns and runs these companies. It is legal but is meant to shield the owners from liability and responsibility.

FYI

I have a JTech laser and they are very Shapeoko friendly. There are many other ones on the market so just do your due diligence about how long they last and the various types of lasers. Many times the marketing hype does not match what the actual users tell the laser can do. Along with the laser is the software to run it and LightBurn is what I got and works well. Some laser manufactures have their own software and some give a discount to LightBurn as well as others. So just consider the total cost of ownership before picking your laser brand.

I have a J-Tech 14 watt and a 44 watt laser that I use with my shapoko 5 and I’m very happy with how they both work. With any laser setup there is a little bit of a learning curve with switching back and forth between using router and laser. J-Tech has good support videos and there are some good threads that talk about how to get the light burn settings correct so that everything works properly. If you do go with the JTEC and have questions you’re welcome to PM me.

Dust boot V4 from PwnCNC, for me the best I ever had, right now for sale:

Needs some additional parts.
I think that I messed up some projects because I cut thick parts (1inch), and the dust boots mounted on the spindle produced way too much friction. Therefore I think z-independent dust shoes are a must at least for thicker projects. And this V4 fits under -IMO- almost every spindle. Their website shows it as discontinued. So rush. But: they also sell the 3d print files for a reasonable price: Dust Boot v4 for Makers – PwnCNC
I do not have any connection to them, but the V4 is great.
It is a shame that there is no standard for the tubes. So duct tape will help. Again. (I found some elastic plumbing adapters that look clumsy but do the job so no duct tape this time)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/djLxpD9kHCQKyqsf7
The spindle is removed on that picture, but what can be seen is that this dust shoe is very flat. 2 of those spindles broke recently, both NOT a brush issue. One was an AMB Milling Motor 8000 FME-Q, after I had to keep it in the drawer until I made the mounting plate it only milled for 3h, and broke, and my other mill also broke (that was the one that came with the CNC), so now I ordered the VFD spindle kit in good faith that the curse is broken now… But the few pieces that I cut with the spindles went very well with the dust shoek

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.