Spindle shuts off while jogging

Yesterday I wanted to quickly knock 0.05 off the surface of a block by using the jog controls to move the spindle around.
I have a Pro 4XXL, with a Bitrunner, and using the current Beta version of Carbide Motion.
I would turn the spindle on via the jog screen, but a soon as I finished jogging in one direction, the spindle turns off. The spindle icon still shows “off”, and I would have to cycle it to get the spindle to turn back on.
Otherwise, the Bitrunner works as it should, although the switch on its pendant doesn’t light up anymore.

Please let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com

I’d like to think that the spindle being disabled is a saftey function in Carbide Motion, but the developer would need to speak to that.

For the light on the pendant switch, that’s a failure — if you’re in warranty, we’ll cover it, if you’re not under warranty, let us know and we will work out how to handle it.

I would hate to think that it is considered a “safety” feature, as all it accomplished was giving someone a warm fuzzy feeling. The annoyed customer just bypasses the bitrunner with an extension cord, creating a trip hazard.

I have done this in the past. Not so much to flatten a whole board but to do some minor cleanup. I have a ProXXL and the BitRunner and have not had this issue.

To further inform the discussion.

It will shut off if you fast jog, then release the screen/pendant button to stop it.
If you fast jog until it stops itself by hitting the travel soft limits, then the spindle will continue to spin.
Jogging in increments keeps the spindle on.

According to support, it’s a “safety” feature.

I disagree.

As do I!! I do a lot of manual milling with my jog pendant, so this is a deal breaker for using CM.

It’s looking like if I reduce the rapid feed rate ( $110, $111 and $112 – [X,Y,Z] Max rate, mm/min )
it helps. But I don’t want to keep changing the GRBL settings just to machine something manually.

If it’s a safety feature, what is the threshold that is making it stop??

1 Like

I just ran into this (build 618) “feature” - I though the machine was broken when the spindle cut off. I vote to allow the spindle to continue running whatever the jog speed (like it used to do).

3 Likes

Same here, just updated Carbide Motion and just noticed this. I used to go into the MDI to start the spindle (ie. M3S14000 and M5 to stop) and then manually jog the machine around to start flattening boards, especially rough cut slabs (chainsaw mill) since there are high spots you can focus on and avoid a lot of air cutting. I’ve also been using 3" sanding disks for prepping surfaces. I also upcycle used hardwood chairs which often have the “butt” imprint milled into the surface so I’d often jog the high spots.

Now I must admit I do enjoy the rapid jog saving time setting Zero, etc… Would be nice to have an easy way to override the press of a button from moving a certain distance (ie. 0.025mm, 0.25mm, etc…) with a constant feedrate (ie. 1500mm/min).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.