Spindle spinning off center

After buying my first Vee cutter I noticed I have vibration in my spindle. I can see from running my cutter on low and looking at it from the side that the v cutter tip is spinning off center. Anyone know what might cause this issue?

I cleaned my collet of dust and tried retightening multiple times with no luck. Even tried a few different tools.

Which sort of router do you have? What collet are you using? a stock 1/4"?

Have you considered a precision collet?

Have you tried multiple cutters? Do they all do the same thing?

Some V cutters are poorly balanced and can cause vibration/spinning off center.

1 Like

Unfortunately I only had the option to buy the new standard Shapeoko router. And I’m running the standard collet that came with it. But I do have the armada tool 60° vee cutter from tools today. That’s what I noticed the issue with.

If you haven’t, please contact support@carbide3d.com

Just as an update, I emailed support and they said it’s a bad bearing. First they’ve seen on this router but happens the same with the other brands. They told me to dispose of the one I have now and they will be sending me a replacement ASAP.

Pretty impressed by the service from Shapeoko so far. Of the two times I’ve dealt with them (missing screws for mounting my waste board, now this) they were quick to react and sent free replacements right away.

1 Like

Surprised at the instructions to dispose — aren’t the bearings easily replaced?

1 Like

Tbh I don’t know, anyone ever do it?

No…they’re a pain in the …well, they’re a pain… in most compact routers.

1 Like

I’ve seen some posts around of them being changed out - it’s not that hard, bit it requries tearing the whole thing down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.