Spindle Wobble - Time for a new Router?

Hi,
I’ve had the S3 xxl with the Dewalt 611 for about a year and a half now. I usually cut on average about 8 to 10 hours/week. I’ve been noticing recently that my cuts are a little rough, especially when using the 1/8" ballnose. Tonight I put in an 1/8" bit then rested my wrench on top of my dust boot plate with the edge of the wrench up against the bit. Then I slowly turned the bit with my hand. The wrench moved very slightly, I tried the wrench in a couple of different positions but still got the same result. Thinking maybe it was my 1/8" collet, I switched to the quarter inch and still the result was the same.
Is it possible that the spindle is slightly bent?
Easy fix or time for a new Router?
Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Unclear why it would be bent - was the router dropped? I assume the wrench was up against the shaft of the endmill, not the flutes?

No, the router hasn’t left the machine from day one. Yes, I was spinning at the shaft, although the wobble get more pronounced near the tip.

If it’s more pronounced at the tip, that implies the top bearing, or the collet system (gunk in the spindle bore where the collect goes, gunk in the nut, gunk.) . If the router never left the machine, and only started recently it’s almost certainly not a bent spindle shaft.

1 Like

Agree w/ @mikep most likely it’s a bearing — in a couple of instances it’s been the plastic housing around the bearing which has given way on a DeWalt.

Some folks replace them, others view the routers as disposable. With as much usage as you have, you might want to look into a “real” spindle. The community has notes on this at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. I’m going to take it off and play with it. I don’t mind if I have to buy another one, I’ve gotten pretty good use out of this router. It has way more than paid for itself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.