Squaring a Shapeoko Pro like a Pro

I was pretty stoked on Wednesday to get my hands on a production Pro XL. I built it this morning, having a blast doing so.

People ask us how to square the machines and I figured out a real simple way to do so. In lue of a 4/5ft granite table it occurred to me our kitchen worktop are granite …

*Imnotresponsiblefordivorce

13 Likes

The divorce only happens if you leave it there too long…which encourages you to get through the build ASAP! Brilliant!

5 Likes

This is the largest cheese grater ever.

3 Likes

If you get flack for this, do what I do: #IBlameJulien

@Julien: I know this is going to trend…I can feel it.

5 Likes

The Mac Pro design team would like a word.

2 Likes

Is this going to be like planking, but for Shapeoko?

1 Like

On a more serious note, is squaring the frame a required step?

The abundance of precision-placed tapered-head screws across so many slates into the base frame inspire confidence. It seems to me that appropriate tightening of that many precision-fit screws is going to true-up the frame. Am I being overly optimistic? The good engineering seems to handle squaring.

Let me know because I finish assembly this morning! :blush:

All the extrusions are machined but when you tighten it all down you do want to make sure left and right Y extrusions are square with each-other.

You don’t need to do this though :wink: You can square them up against pretty much anything. Cough the X extrusion might work.

5 Likes

Well, Luke, squaring Y-rails to the gantry is what’s described.

Guess I’ll assume that’s enough … but you know best!

Let me know if I’ve missed something, thanks.

2 Likes

You can always lay a roll of wax paper/aluminum foil down on the granite if scratches are a concern.

And, if she catches you, you can say you are preparing something for a (work-from-home) potluck…

1 Like

I can’t even imagine how many trivets you’ll have to make to avoid that dreaded “*Imnotresponsiblefordivorce”

3 Likes

My XXL Pro rails measured square using @wmoy’s method in the video within my ability to measure with a tape measure and well calibrated eyes. Looked to be within somewhere around 1/64" measure across the diagonals.

2 Likes

That looks like one damn fine drying rack

3 Likes