Squaring Up XXL - Measurments

I have a Shapeoko 4 XXL. When I assembled it, the instructions were not very clear on the squaring up the unit. It just said square it but did not tell how to do it. I got it as close as I could at assembly time, 3 months ago.
Anyway, today I decided to make some measurments.

Below are my findings.

If I do a rapid position and measure from the loaded tool to aluminum rails:
NW-3.27" from bit to left aluminum rail
NE-3.66" from bit to right aluminum rail
SW-3.28" from bit to left aluminum rail
SE-3.66" from bit to right aluminum rail
So it does not really seem to be centered. Or the spinal at least is not centered, right?

If I place the gantry as far forward (south) as it goes:
SW forward as far as it goes .58" (This is measured from front of black plate that runs East west and the front of black vertical plate that houses the stepper motor)
SE forward as far as it goes .62"(This is measured from front of black plate that runs East west and the front of black vertical plate that houses the stepper motor). This is the plate that the power switch is on.

If I measure diagnally, here are my measurements:
NE to SW = 56 9/16"
NW to SE = 56 5/8"
(So it is 1/16" off of square) Is this maybe my problem or is it close enough? How would I adjust this?

If I do a Rapid position to “South” it is 3/16" to left of dead center. Just to the left of the center “T” rail.

Is this normal or within tolerance? How would I make adjustments if needed?

There are folks with their machine thus who use them and produce work which meets their needs.

Getting the machine more square can be a maddening, tail-chasing thing, but the basics are:

• work from large–small
  • starting with a level table, which is a very rigid surface will provide a reference plain
  • some people find a sheet of foam to take up imperfections helpful

Here’s a video which covers the concepts:

1 Like

Will, tonight I took a few hours and squared up the frame. I removed the spoilboard and aluminum “T” slots and got it to within 1/32" inch.
I still have the difference in the spaces when I move the gantry to the far front. I am still about 1/4" farther on the east side as I am on the left side. Measured as described above.
Any ideas?

Let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com and send us photos.

It would be preferable to get the gap to occur at the back left — can you swap or re-orient parts to cause that to happen?

That said, a slight gap can be shimmed, but even if it isn’t, so long as the machine is assembled and squared up so that the rails are level and parallel/square to each other it will run true to itself and should cut fine once calibrated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.