Stainless Leveling Feet

Hi,
I dropped one of my leveling feet on assembly and it shattered the plastic housing. I did lots of looking and found some nice stainless heavy duty cup feet on Amazon but they are 10 mm bolts, not the M8 1.25 threads the Shapeoko mounts use.

Stainless Leveling Feet

The good news is when you take them out of the package and accidentally drop one on the floor, again, it does not even scuff the finish haha… They are very heavy thick steel.
Had several ideas how to deal with the slop moving down from a 10 MM center hole to a M8 and decided to use Allen drive flat head socket cap countersink screws M8 1.25 stainless 40 MM long. Shorter 30 mm length will also work.
I had thoughts of using threaded studs with Allen tips so you could adjust height from the top with bearings in the bases but the self centering aspect of the socket caps was more important. So lift and twist it is… I fastened them with serrated lock nuts tightened as much as possible with a 5.5 Allen bit, with loctite on the threads…

M8 x 1.25 Serrated Lock Nuts

I plan to top them off with ARP 12 point polished nuts to keep them tight.
Rubber pads can be placed underneath if needed, I was thinking rigidity but someone said dampening? Not qualified to speculate.
If you get these the 10mm base nut has been struck to prevent loosening. I ended up wedging the top of the bolt in a vice with a long 6 point closed end wrench, and twisting off the bolt heads with a breaker bar.
I am very happy with them. They look great and are heavy duty and very shiny which is most important of all.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.