Stars on American Flag - End Mill Cut

I’ve made many a U.S. Flag using a v-carve bit for the stars. Now, however, I’d like to make one using and end mill. The stars are .6591 inches wide by .6268 inches high. I would like to get nice sharp end point on those stars and I’ve got a 1/32 end mill that will do it. I have got the flag fully designed and ready to cut - but there’s the rub. The time alone, just to cut the stars is over 5 hours. I have played with this, using my limited CNC experience, and I can’t seem to come up with a solution that will minimize that time. Maybe there is no solution. So, I’m asking the community with more experience than I, if there is in fact a way to do this in less time, or if I am chasing windmills?

This is know as “Rest” machining.

Carbide Creat doesn’t support it. You would need to do the offset geometry work to define the areas to be cut out.

Use a larger bit with a pocket operation to clear as much material (at a faster speed). Then use your smaller bit to contour (just) the inside of the star to bring back the detail.

Or v-carve with a smaller (angle) v-bit.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.