Start depth Issue

When I input a value for start depth and run a job, my machine ignores it. How can this happen?

For those interested in my details:
My point of origin is set to the top of my material. I was cutting out a pocket and due to a disconnection I had to restart the job. I have cut into the pocket to a depth of 0.91 inches and need to continue until 1.5 inches. So instead of cutting the air for 0.91 inches I was going to try out the start depth feature. I set 0.91 inches to be my start depth and 1.5 inches to be my max. Save the gcode in carbide create, load it and run it. The bit goes from origin to the pocket and begins cutting as if the start depth was set to 0 inches.

1 Like

Looks like a bug to me.

EDIT: This is really weird. I set up a test pocket and saw the same thing as you.
I then tried with the Advanced V-Carve and it worked, as expected.
Weird part: I went back to the pocket toolpaths and it worked without issue. About to test this again.

EDIT #2: OK, this had nothing to do with advanced V-carve, but there’s a repeatable issue with the start depth in a pocket toolpath.

@Dillon Change your pocket to a profile, then back to a pocket.
startDepth_CC

4 Likes

:sweat_smile::joy::rofl: and here I thought I was going crazy. It’s super late so I will save my full comment for the morning when I have a fresh head. Long story short, this has been an issue for so long I have completely blocked out that I have a “ritual/rain dance” of clicks I make in order for the change to “stick”

Edit: I will have to check my post and message history, but I may have made a comment stating my issue that may have gotten overlooked during the lightning speed progression of CC and CM over the last year or so…

Edit 2 (yeah not sleeping well): seems I am not that crazy… quote from my comment on a CC thread back in August of 2019: “CC417, not sure if it has carried over to CC420. I seem to be having trouble getting an edited toolpath to respond to a change in start or stop depth. If I go into edit toolpath, change the depth, and press ok it doesnt calculate the path based on the new values. I have to go back in to edit toolpath and change the operation from a pocket to a contour and back to a pocket (sometimes having to edit the chosen bit) to get CC to recalculate the toolpath. Also the ui doesnt seem to show parameter changes in stepover correctly. It takes multiple clicks on “bit editing” to get CC to respond to the change in values. I feel like this problem might be isolated to my computer system as it has been persistent since CC3XX for me and nobody else seems to be running into it.”

4 Likes

Just posting to call @robgrz’s attention, to double check whether this is known/in the bug list already.

1 Like

An odd solution. I will try this. Thank you for the reply and debugging this issue.

1 Like

You and Neil both have the same solution but I can only mark one as “the solution.” This issue was certainly driving me crazy and searching for it on the web was a pain. Thank you for digging up your comment and sending it my way. I appreciate your time and effort, thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.