Starting with 2.5 d carving

I’m a little late to the party on this one, but I just threw a screencast and machining video together to show everyone how I would go about making this in CC Pro and cutting it on the Shapeoko.

The screencast portion is pretty long (17 minutes) - but shows my entire process for designing this part. Basically I was pretending like someone was sitting next to me and I was showing them every single step of the process.

Project Files Here: https://cutrocket.com/p/5d2677ab45a13/

4 Likes

Hey Edward, thanks for doing this tutorial. It really starts to open up what this CC pro can do. Speaking of that, when I was messing around with border textures, I tried a photo to see what that would look like. I then realized that it would be cool to be able to carve a photo–is this possible? The border import does this, is there a way to centre the picture to get all of it, rather than broken up? It would be a really cool feature, although this picture would take about 18 hours to get fine detail…still with simpler pictures it would be cool. Just a thought.

I agree that the import of images to carve, not as border would be an excellent feature and probably trivial at this point.

That’ll be in 414 when it comes out

2 Likes

The new 414 is able to import this:

to make the shape which previously didn’t seem feasible to make:

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Haha… well done! But how did you make that image?

I created one part in Carbide Create Pro, exported it as a PNG, then composited it in a pixel editor.

This feature looks to have a lot of possibilities — basically you can cut any pixel image, and draw up pretty much anything which can then be cut out using the toolpath options.

Unfortunately, I can’t work up toolpath options for a couple of the joinery ideas I have, so I’m back to trying to hand-program toolpaths for them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.