Storage Options for SO3 XXL

My woodworking space is in a 3-car garage, in which 2.5 bays are regularly used by vehicles that can be moved out whenever necessary. This gives me a full 3-car garage as temporary work space and a half bay of dedicated space along with free walls, ceiling, etc. I have my XXL sitting on a 4x8 torsion assembly table within the dedicated half-bay which was built as a project and outfeed table for a jobsite tablesaw I setup when it’s needed. The table also functions as a perfectly flat surface for CNC’ing but would like the option to reclaim this usable table space occasionally.
I forget where it was that I saw the suggestion but is anyone else using the Racor Ceiling mount to store their SO3 XXL? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009I8AO6
I’ve ordered it so I’ll add pictures later, but wanted to see if anyone had done this before.

1 Like

I have one of these ceiling mounts, and it works for storage of boxes and stuff, but I can’t see it being all that useful for a SO XXL without some modifications. It’ll work as is, kinda. You could put it on there, and lift it up and it would be out of the way, but you would probably want to disconnect it from the machine when you want to use the machine, and the wire base is kind of unstable. I wouldn’t lift the machine directly with the cable assemblies - it would get racked/twisted. Maybe make a short platform, bolt the machine down to the platform, and connect the platform to the cable assemblies with some clip links instead of using the wire platform.

1 Like

First thanks for the reply @mikep, i was getting lonely. :grin:
As I’m planning out this project, I was suspecting more and more that the lifting platform wouldn’t work very well. I have a non-lifting ceiling mount in the garage with this similar wire-mesh surface and it does twist some.
My thoughts so far are to put carabiners on the end of the cables so they’re easily attachable to something either just below the SO3 or the SO3 itself. This way when the SO3 is lowered, they can be detached and the cables raised up or pulled out of the way.

1 Like

I promised pictures, so here’s what i have thus far. There are still a few things i need to do… but this is a great start.

2 Likes

I thought about doing something like this but utilizing some custom aluminum “hook plates” bolted to the machines end plates, eliminating the need for the rack.

Never got around to doing anything cause I have this huge enclosure that would have no place to go. I did consider lifting both enclosure and machine but I finally decided I use the machine so much it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

First time using it… building a mini-torsion box platform for the lift today and needed to move my CNC out of the way so I thought I’d share the lift in action.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.