Store Tool library in central location

I use carbide create on multiple computers (wherever I have time/ideas), and it is a hassle to have to add a new tool into each computer.

Would it be possible to have the ability to store the tool library in one location (One Drive, Google drive, etc.) that carbide create and carbide motion and use for tools?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I did do a search and didn’t find anything resembling this request.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hello Troy!

Welcome to the community (it says I should say that so I did).

This has been requested before, so I think it’s known about. But, extra voices make issues biggerer.

I do my main toolpaths on my office computer and then run the jobs in the workshop, but often make mistakes and need to correct issues whilst in the workshop. So I really needed this feature too. (I’ve moved on from CC to VCarve and was pleased to find that it lets you push your tool library to the cloud and then grab it from the cloud from another computer… but a path you could specify would have worked just as well)

5 Likes

While there is no ability to specify the tool database path, as a workaround you could still choose to store/edit a master copy of your custom tool database csv file (accessible in the data directory, via Help/About in CC) somewhere on the network, and copy/paste that whole file into the data directory of each CC instance you have.

3 Likes

I don’t have a cloud solution for you, but I do for your local network if you are running windows. The usual disclaimer here, make a backup, proceed with caution, yadda yadda.

There is an old DOS command, MKLINK that creates a “symbolic link” which redirects file I/O from one location to another. It’s an old trick used to get around hard coded paths.

First find the directory containing your Carbide Create tool file. For me that is

C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Carbide 3D\Carbide Create\tools\

Next decide where on your network you would rather have this directory. I’ll try using

\\Vault\Cold Coffee\Tools\

With Carbide Create closed, go ahead and move the .csv files to the new network location, leaving the original directory empty.

Then delete the “tools” directory from the original location (yea starting to get scary now).

Open a command prompt in windows using the ‘Run as Administrator’ option.

Change my paths to yours, but run the following command

MKLINK /D "C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Carbide 3D\Carbide Create\tools" "\\Vault\Cold Coffee\Tools"

If you go look (in windows explorer) at the original location, the “tools” folder is back, but it is now a shortcut. If you browse into it you will actually be looking at your network folder.

if this didn’t work, my first guess is network permissions getting to that share on your network. You can troubleshoot by trying to run the command but use a local path rather than a network path.

To undo this, just delete the (now shortcut) tools directory. Recreate a real tools directory, then copy the .csv files back into that folder.

6 Likes

And if you’re using CC on a Mac then Chronosync is excellent for syncing files across multiple machines, although not free.

3 Likes

I believe that would work for me. I’m new to this, and was having a hard time finding where the actual file was stored in order to copy it. So from another post it looks like the file is stored in the tools folder.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great information. Thanks!!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.