Strange lines in finished work

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue. I’ve attached a pic of the model(rhino6) and the milled piece. I’m getting these horizontal artefacts from what seems to be inconsistent Z heights across flat surfaces. Gcode output from Visualmill/RhinoCam. I’ve only started seeing them when doing these smaller items, but that may be due to having the machine for a while now- so if something needs a tighten may also be a cause?

Grateful for any clues here. Pain in the butt micro sanding after the fact.

Kind regards,
Chad

What CAM tool did you use?

Could you share the settings?

Hi William,

Using Rhinocam.

10,000 Rpm, 800mm per min

2mm down to .3 mm bit, but noticed lines with every tool change. Even with a 2mm bit ruff pass.

material is proboard tooling board. Cuts very easily.

The model is all 90% planar surfaces.

Thanks for having a look,

Chad

Do the lines show in a preview of the G-Code using a 3rd party previewer?

I use CAMotics:

https://camotics.org/

something is loose, check v-wheels. The carriage can “rock” left and right or front to back, causing this. It must not be a lot, or you would see it all over the piece.

1 Like

Agreed, lines appear to all be horizontal across the image. Either your material is moving in the z direction, or perhaps your rails have buildup on them causing the wheels to rise and fall.

2 Likes

Please check the EDIT workholding.

Possibly springback from material being compressed? (are you using a down-cut endmill?)

My thanks to @PaulAlfaro for pointing out this is in the Nomad area.

Nomad category? Mentions are Shapeoko adjustments??

1 Like

Good point. Narrows it down to material movement.

Final passes were done with .5 and and .3 mm spiral ball upcutters. There was material left from previous pass so these should have cleaned it up. Ive got the full surface of these 5mm thick slices of board held down with double sided kikusui tape. Never had problems previous to my last 2 jobs. The one thing I haven’t tried is a parallel finishing in the y direction to see if I then get vertical lines.

I run the simulation within Rhino and shows it to be clean. I haven’t updated the Carbide motion in a while either, maybe something to do with it?

Thanks,
Chad

Carbide Motion is pretty straightforward in how it sends code.

Either it’s a problem in the CAM/G-Code or it’s something mechanical most likely.

What does it look like in a 3rd party previewer such as CAMotics?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.