Stub/short shank 0.250 End mills

Has anyone has tried 1/4” stub/short shank end mills on the Nomad? 1/4” end mills with 2.5” overall length seem to have chatter limitations in the Nomad - just wondering if anyone tried 2” or even 1.5” stub end mills. Any improvement?

Yes, I really like the stub length, but obviously you need to be sure to have enough reach for what you’re doing.

2 Likes

I’ve received some really long 60mm endmills and I’m considering cutting the shank to make them just enough length for my parts.

I’ll try cutting the carbide with a jeweller’s saw and diamond wire blade and see if that’s work.

Easiest thing is to just put them in a vise, notch them with a file or hacksaw, then break off with a pair of pliers, then file smooth (carbide is brittle and all too easily broken)

1 Like

Have to admit I am tempted to do this as well. With a Nomad collet depth of 1”, I would rather like to find a 1/4” endmill with an overall length of 1.5”, flute length 1/2” allowing me to work many of the situations I come across normally with minimum stickout but that combination seems to be exceptionally rare. Have a 2” OAL 1/4” 3FL end mill on order - will see how that helps.

I was idly pondering today given the way the spjndle is gripped at its end on the Nomad if the spindle itself starts to become something of a tuning fork…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.