Successful spindle upgrade of Nomad Pro?

A perusal of the search lists on this topic have revealed several attempts to upgrade the anemic stock spindle to a more powerful aftermarket version.

However, I have not seen any which I would say are definitively successful.

I realize that the Nomad 3 attempts to address this, and is a turnkey solution albeit a pricey one. I could justify the cost if there were other improvements such as a larger workspace but I already own the Nomad Pro and would prefer to upgrade it instead. I love the precision of the machine but the lack of spindle power is a serious handicap which causes machining run times to be far lomger than they otherwise have to be to avoid stalling the cutter in the middle of an hours-long job.

Has anyone had anything like success in putting a more powerful spindle in place?

What are the barriers to replacing the stock spindle with a more powerful spindle, other than geometry?

What is the possibility of manual control of a new spindle while leaving the stock spindle electronics in place?

1 Like

Did you look at this one by @Vince.Fab ?

That kind of conversion is exactly what I am looking for.

Perhaps @Vince.Fab could add details to the original construction thread? Curious if there ever was a product produced?

I am mechanically adept enough that the modification part doesn’t intimidate me, but the electrical and software integration is far beyond my understanding. Those are the kinds of details I am looking for and what I mean when I say a definitive solution to the spindle upgrade problem.

This here was my attempt at it from a slightly less software involved side. I made no changes to the software but you would need to be aware of your endstop limits doing it this way when doing your cam.

1 Like

What causes it to limit the cutting volume? Reduced Y axis due to how much further it extends out from the original center?

Or was the Z axis also affected?

Perhaps it is possible to move the table forward by the same distance to regain lost Y axis travel?

Was deflection due to additional weight a problem?

How did you control the speed of the router? Just manually turning on and off?

Your modification is closer to what I am looking for.

Basically I need something with the accuracy of the Nomad but the power of the Shapeoko.

It limits the z and y axis, it would technically be possible to move the y out but way more effort then its worth, at that amount of work its better to build a custom machine based around a print nc mini. Deflection has not been an issue. Ive been manually turning it on after it probes tools.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.