Suddenly a Z Problem

New to Forum and New to CNC - Recently purchased a Shapeoko Pro and has been up and running now for about 4 weeks = Flawlessly completed 20 small projects with multiple bit changes 1/4 & 1/8. During my last project I was unable to complete a bit change as the 1/8 endmill would not reach the Bit Setter button short by about 12mm…as if the z axis had reached its limit = Odd as this task was completed multiple times previously with the same bit. All wiring has been checked / system restarted / bit setter re-engaged / router is mounted all the way into the sleeve / system reconfigured / Unable to jog into the bit setter. Any thoughts would be greatly Appreciated

A disturbing issue I have experienced is bit plunge and cutting air. One way I have found to clear this is to stop, leave the machine on, unplug the power brick until the power light goes off on the front of the unit. It has worked too many times even with grounding.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

The z-plus does not have as much travel as other Z axis. With the 1/8 bit because they are short you need to only insert the bit enough that the bit is fully inserted in the collet and no more. Put a mark on the bit so you dont over insert the bit.

A Z-Plus has a mechanical stop. The config can be changed. Put your 1/8 bit in and insert it enough to get it to the top; f the collet. Move the router off the front edge. Jog all the way to the top. Zero z and jog down until you hit the stop. Check your position and that is your maximum travel. Decuct a small amount and set that amount in the config. You do not want to hit the stop because you can loose steps.

Make sure your router is all the way down in the router mount before trying the above procedure. Also make sure your router is tight in the mount.

Some times you need a supplemental spoil board on top of the hybrid table for short small bits.

1 Like

Can you re-check your Travel Dimensions setting for Z axis? If the Z jog is limited, from a fresh machine init, that is pretty much the only reason (that is not mechanical) I can see for not being able to jog low enough. You should be able to check in CM window, but if you need to confirm on the controller itself:

CM’s Setting page, “Show Log” button, then go to the MDI tab, and send $$ : you should see the GRBL parameter values printed out in the console, what’s the value for $132? (Z travel limit in mm)

Travel Dimensions : X=865 Y=850 Z=140…S132 = 95.
This morning I installed a #302 V bit = Same problem v bit would not touch the bit setter but closer than than the 1/8 bit. Again I have been utilizing these bits all along without issue

Please open up the Log window and send $$ — what shows for $102?

Good Morning…$102 = 200

Interesting. Those (95 and 200) are the correct values for a Z-plus axis. When you manually jog as low as it will go, what’s the current absolute Z value displayed in CM (you can toggle between relative and absolute coords by clicking on the “Position” label, to get to Machine Position = absolute coords)

Jogging to the Hybrid table top…Router stops and will not go any further than:

Machine Position - X=1.00 Y=780.00 Z=89.030

Once it reaches that low position, it just won’t go lower but no suspicious sound ? And you are still far from the mechanical limit of the Z-plus axis ?
If you still have some Z travel to spare, for the sake of testing you can try increasing the Z travel dimension in CM from 95 to, say, 100 or 105, and check how low you can jog then

Yes there is a suspicious sound…grinding sound as it reaches its full depth

Right, so not a software issue after all, there must be something mechanical. Did you inspect the axis up close to see if anything may have gotten loose inside the Z-plus, that may be in the way when jogging down ?

Problem Solved - Dismantled the Z plus to discover one loose set screw protruding slightly passed the Z Plus rail…retightened and re-assembled all components.

Completed a run into the bit setter with No Problem

Appreciate your Kind Efforts…Back to cutting chips today = Merry Christmas

3 Likes

Appreciate your response…After dismantling the Z plus I did discover a loose set screw binding with the Z plus rail…Great Support from the Forum & Carbide 3D Support Team.

Merry Christmas

I have had my xl for 2 years. I set z with touch pad. The material.75 with a depth .07. Sometimes it cuts .07, and then it will not cut deep enough. Turn machine off, restart and it works. Frustrating

Please prepare a video which shows this difficulty happening and send it along w/ all the specifics of your machine in to support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.