Suggestions on what bit to use

Any suggestions on what bit to use on detail inside a sheriffs star. The project is on 1/4 mdf. I have tried v carve 301 & 302 at 1/8 th. They do ok on some parts but blow out other parts.

Should I be using a different bit? If so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post the file?

It looks like the counters for an R and O were left out of the selection.

How did this compare to the 3D preview?

The preview looked good. When the program was running the router started over the R and went up and down several times creating that distortion. Same thing on the O.

Should I have used a different bit for the details in the center of the star?

Post the file or send it to support@carbide3d.com

Ok I just sent it. This is all so new to me and I apologize. I am an old school woodworker, trying to move forward with technology.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Please post or send a .c2d file in and we’ll do our best to assist.

How does what cut compare to the 3D preview?

Do you have a BitSetter?

Your SVG file imports into Carbide Create fine:

and if you deselect the outermost geometry and do an Advanced V carving previews as:

and if you then offset the outer geometry:

and do a V carving followed by a contour:

will get:

Attached.

Deputy Sheriff ST Luice Co FL.c2d (2.2 MB)

Seeing what you sent I believe I am doing everything wrong with creating the file. As soon as I get home I am going to try to follow what you sent. This is all new to me and I am trying to learn. Thank you for your reply.

I am following your message step by step and when I align the outer geometry then v carve tool path, it shows the path going from point to point through the entire project.

In what context?

Post the file and we’ll do our best to look into this w/ you.

The problem is you have selected only the star, not the star and the offset geometry for the V-carving toolpath.

See the selection at:

Got it. Thank you so much. I will put it on the machine tomorrow. Thanks again for being patient and helping me.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.