Surfacing XXL Hybrid Table

This is a totally newbie question. So I have tried to read through others posts regarding surfacing the XXL hybrid table and have a few questions.

Disclaimers…I understand surfacing the hybrid table will leave “lips” on outer edges and I’m ok with that…for now. I am just trying to get basics understanding down. Using 1.25" surfacing bit. Having trouble understanding how set zero to proper location so I don’t crash machine when working at the edge extremes.

The Pro XXL work area is x axis 870 x y axis 850 correct?

So I created a square in those dimensions in CC, and generated a pocket toolpath. Do I set toolpath zero to use the center, and rapid position to “C” and zero axis’s out and start?

If I use lower left, how do I find extreme lower left limit of machine when jogging?

I still am trying to understand and learn what the machine work dimensions are vs machine travel dimensions.

Pro XXL Surfacing.c2d (8.3 KB)

See:

1 Like

ah thank you Will. You also just answered another post about bit setter issues and not getting enough forward travel when selecting proper machine in setup. Easy fix now LOL.

I am trying to do the same, and every time I try to run the project in motion, it warns me that i will be hitting the back of the machine. I have the Shapeoko 3 XXL.

Post the file and let us know step-by-step how you are setting zero relative to the machine.

MyersWoodshopWasteboardFlattening.c2d (44 KB)
wasteboard flatten.c2d (44 KB)

when the machine is at its end position back right, I z drive a bit down to the mdf and mark it, then I do the same for all the other 3 sides. Based on that I get a slide rule and mark the center of the mdf and go from there.

I find it simpler to just draw up the machine as noted at the previous link, then measure a single slat, then draw up a file which will cut a single slat.

See:

Thank you very much for the support.
Al