So the nice busy people at Fedex delivered my new Sweepy 2.0 today, and I took it for a spin tonight.
Basically the 2.0 is a pretty big upgrade over the 1.0
I had 2 of the 1.0 since I like to have a bottom without bristles and one with. The 2.0 came entirely set up like this already (so one bottom with and one without bristles). Bonus. Sure the 2.0 is a bit more expensive than the 1.0, but less than 2 of the 1.0’s.
First impression: It’s much larger… most importantly, it will stick out more to the front, so if you’re tight in your enclosure you need to be aware of this. This larger size gets you the most important upgrade: The much bigger dust port and air channel. 2 1/2 inch, with adapters for 2 1/4 inch as well as another adapter to at least my Bosch “festool clone” hose.
More on this in a bit.
Putting the dust boot on my spindle was as easy (or hard) as the 1.0; my spindle is slightly large so I had to loosen the set bolts. But here is the second HUGE improvement: While Sweepy 1.0 had a ridge at the bottom that would sit snug on the bottom of the spindle, Sweepy 2.0 does not have this. This allowed me to move the sweepy 2.0 a bit higher. Specifically, this allowed me to put it exactly so high that the bottom of the “no bristles” bottom half is exactly level with the bottom of my collet nut… meaning that on cuts where I cut “close to the collet” I don’t have to remove the dust collection anymore. Score 2 for the Sweepy 2.0
Suction appears to also have improved a lot, the bigger air channel not constricting the air as much (and I can imagine with stringy wood, not getting strings stuck in it).
Overall, a huge upgrade. These may look like little things, but the combination of increased suction/airflow plus the ability to put it higher up on my spindle made it totally worth it for me… no more cutting without any dust collection.
There is one modification that I plan to do. My Bosch “festool clone” hose has the option to take the festool-compatible “end nozzle” off… this nozzle is much narrower than the hose itself and is restricting air flow. Unfortunately, the connector that remains if EXACTLY the size of the plastic converter (so not inner or outer of it) that came with the Sweepy 2.0. Oh well, I have a machine that can make any shape I want out of a piece of wood, so I can remove the converter thingy, and just go from 2 1/2" to the exact hose diameter and get more suction than right now.
[*] the Bosch hose has a larger diameter than my original festool hose, which gives me much better suction.