Sweepy 2.0 first impressions (review)

@BLKKROW I just ordered Sweepy 2.0 and can compare it against my Suck-It. I’m not sure which will be less mental overhead to avoid fixtures/clamps, but dust collection looks good with both from what I’ve seen. I also cracked my Suck-It insert on the collet :frowning:

I used to have a suckit, but really did not like it (I fully admit it;s a taste kind of thing), and that I do better with dust collection that is variable Z.

On very specific cases there is a more dust I suppose, but the even the 1.0 has a LOT of suction and most stuff gets just sucked upwards… and the 2.0 has more suction even (but I have only used it a little bit)… all the little chips get sucked up for sure…

I did the same previously on my Suck-It, luckily I paid for replacements and got them from Suck it. But then shortly after, the magnets holding my Suck-It were not strong enough for some reason, so the shoe came loose, and the router collet put a giant hole in the back of the shoe. I also have the HDZ and utilize aluminum fixtures, but it still feels unstable. This is why I was looking at the Sweepy.

One other difference - I route my hose through a 3D printed clamp (easy to pull it out) on top of the Z-stage. With the Sweepy it will be expanding and contracting the hose with every retract, so I’ll have to make sure it doesn’t pop off or pop out.

1 Like

ah I solved that differently. I put a linear rail at the ceiling of my enclosure, and the hose goes through a little loop coming out of the carriage of the linear rail. as the machine moves around (forward/backwards but it also does it up/down a bit) the carriage just moves on the linear rail and I have enough slop in the hose to be able to do basic moves.

1 Like

If you have a 3D printer, you could print a super sized 4" version of the Suckit if you want.

I’ve had several Suckits, S1, and S2.

S1 = Sweepy V1, S2 = Sweepy V2

I even did a comparison between the last version of Suckit and S1 back to back on the exact same project. I adjusted both to work a well as possible. The Suckit got more MDF dust than the S1. But the difference wasn’t huge. I also showed how I setup S1 for optimal results.

I still like the Suckit a lot, but I imagine if I did another comparison, S2 would be about even dust wise, and would factor in even, or better once we factored in the extra X travel the S2 allows over the Suckit… especially with the extra extra travel the HDZ allows.

I will chime it with Josh and say that as a beta tester, the improved z-axis travel of Sweepy on the router shaft makes a big difference in being able to adjust the dust boot to the ideal height for what I’m cutting. Overall, Sweepy is a steal at the price it’s at compared to every other option on the market and it performs excellently for MDF dust, maple chips, and HDPE snow. The easily swappable bristle length adapters make it a breeze to change out. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good point…I forgot to factor in price.

Thank you for everyone’s input. I figured they would be close, I just love the simplicity of the Sweepy compared to the arms, extensions, and everything with the Suck-It.

2 Likes

I really like the new Sweepy. I had the SuckIt & one thing I didn’t like was that it would slam into a clamp on the wastebaord & either screw up my settings or break the pieces that held the vacuum height adjustment.
One thing to note, the magnets on the sweepy could be a little more powerful, I have added some small clamps to mine to keep the bottom from dropping off is hit.

2 Likes

This will be a brief review, but so far I’m very happy with the Sweepy 2.0 vs the Suck-It I was using previously.

• Tool changes don’t require removing the dust hose, which is appreciated.
    I should note that with the original square router mount a 2.5" coiled dust hose is a bit of a tight squeeze - the outside of the hose rubs the aluminum router mount during install.

• The belt driven Z stage has more of a tendency to drop on power down now that it is supporting the dust shoe and about a foot of hose. Not an issue, but I’m going to be more careful during bit changes that I don’t overload the position.

• Visibility is improved since the bristles cover a much smaller footprint on the workpiece - better for monitoring and WIP videos/photos

• Dust collection with my 1HP collector is improved over Suck-It in a few scenarios - since the bristle footprint is smaller it’s on top of the part more often, where the Suck-It would overhang a void and lose pressure. Even with the bristles ~1cm above the workpiece I have very little cleanup to do in comparison.

• The price is great, and continued evolution of the platform makes me really happy as a customer.

Great job!

7 Likes

Mine is set to arrive today! BitZero 2.0 came this morning. Looking forward to setting it up. Made a new threaded wasteboard as well.

4 Likes

Are there any hose brackets like the one in this picture that can be bought if so where.
I have the HDZ upgrade to put on next.

If you have a 3D printer there are some designs on thingiverse (fair warning their search is not great). I wasn’t able to find the exact one I printed, and you would need to make sure that it would be compatible with hdz anyway.

1 Like

Just to add another great review - I’ve been using the sweepy v2 recently and it’s terrific, I’ve used the suckit, pwncnc, sweepy v1, and sweepy v2, and the V2 is by far the most effective and easiest to adjust.

Personally I really hate the suckit and pwncnc brackets that require thumbscrews to adjust up and down. It’s always finnicky, it’s always in the way with the bitzero/bitsetter, both have 3D-printed parts that don’t hold up particularly well, and they reduce X-axis travel.

On the other hand both sweepy versions feel a lot more solid and the only setup needed is to tighten the clasp bolts once. The V2 definitely moves a lot more dust and the flexible bristles perform a lot better than the V1, plus I can leave it on while using the bitzero and the bitsetter.

I decided I want to give the Sweepy 2.0 a try, as my Suck-It is barely holding on. However they are out of stock, so looks like I have to wait.

1 Like

MadHatter

Will this 4" version work on the original belt drive Z?

Since the Sweepy connects to your trim router/spindle it’s invariant of Z-axis — just get a size which matches your router.

Has the dewalt version made an appearance yet?