Sweepy 2.0 first impressions (review)

Thank you for everyone’s input. I figured they would be close, I just love the simplicity of the Sweepy compared to the arms, extensions, and everything with the Suck-It.

2 Likes

I really like the new Sweepy. I had the SuckIt & one thing I didn’t like was that it would slam into a clamp on the wastebaord & either screw up my settings or break the pieces that held the vacuum height adjustment.
One thing to note, the magnets on the sweepy could be a little more powerful, I have added some small clamps to mine to keep the bottom from dropping off is hit.

2 Likes

This will be a brief review, but so far I’m very happy with the Sweepy 2.0 vs the Suck-It I was using previously.

• Tool changes don’t require removing the dust hose, which is appreciated.
    I should note that with the original square router mount a 2.5" coiled dust hose is a bit of a tight squeeze - the outside of the hose rubs the aluminum router mount during install.

• The belt driven Z stage has more of a tendency to drop on power down now that it is supporting the dust shoe and about a foot of hose. Not an issue, but I’m going to be more careful during bit changes that I don’t overload the position.

• Visibility is improved since the bristles cover a much smaller footprint on the workpiece - better for monitoring and WIP videos/photos

• Dust collection with my 1HP collector is improved over Suck-It in a few scenarios - since the bristle footprint is smaller it’s on top of the part more often, where the Suck-It would overhang a void and lose pressure. Even with the bristles ~1cm above the workpiece I have very little cleanup to do in comparison.

• The price is great, and continued evolution of the platform makes me really happy as a customer.

Great job!

7 Likes

Mine is set to arrive today! BitZero 2.0 came this morning. Looking forward to setting it up. Made a new threaded wasteboard as well.

4 Likes

Are there any hose brackets like the one in this picture that can be bought if so where.
I have the HDZ upgrade to put on next.

If you have a 3D printer there are some designs on thingiverse (fair warning their search is not great). I wasn’t able to find the exact one I printed, and you would need to make sure that it would be compatible with hdz anyway.

1 Like

Just to add another great review - I’ve been using the sweepy v2 recently and it’s terrific, I’ve used the suckit, pwncnc, sweepy v1, and sweepy v2, and the V2 is by far the most effective and easiest to adjust.

Personally I really hate the suckit and pwncnc brackets that require thumbscrews to adjust up and down. It’s always finnicky, it’s always in the way with the bitzero/bitsetter, both have 3D-printed parts that don’t hold up particularly well, and they reduce X-axis travel.

On the other hand both sweepy versions feel a lot more solid and the only setup needed is to tighten the clasp bolts once. The V2 definitely moves a lot more dust and the flexible bristles perform a lot better than the V1, plus I can leave it on while using the bitzero and the bitsetter.

I decided I want to give the Sweepy 2.0 a try, as my Suck-It is barely holding on. However they are out of stock, so looks like I have to wait.

1 Like

MadHatter

Will this 4" version work on the original belt drive Z?

Since the Sweepy connects to your trim router/spindle it’s invariant of Z-axis — just get a size which matches your router.

Has the dewalt version made an appearance yet?

Not yet, @Luke or @edwardrford would be able to speak to that.

I would think we are a couple of months off for the dewalt version. There are some key differences between routers which we had to work-through before pulling the pin.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat… Waiting on ‘out of stock’…

On the Shapeoko 3 Accessories page in the store they are out of stock for 9 of 14 items. I am sure there are valid circumstances (covid, Christmas, etc.), still, pretty disappointing when you need parts fitted for the SO3…

1 Like

In stock now. I just place my order.

3 Likes

Me too, and some collets (also in stock)!!

1 Like

Finally got a chance to test Sweepy 2.0.

TLDR; It’s a great product at a great price point, I would recommend anyone to buy and use it.

Overall it performs the same or better as my old Suck-It dust boot. My old Suck-It was one of the polycarbonate boots, with the suction house at the front, not the pro. This left a slit in the back, which a lot of dust and debris escaped. Where as Sweepy, has a dynamic Z position so I was afraid it would not collect dust until the bristles got close to the material. However, I found that with the suction directed at the bit instead of a few inches in front, it was collecting just as much as the Suck-It if not more. With the price and availability of Sweepy 2.0, it is a no brainer, buy it!

5 Likes

Sweepy 2.0 definite thumbs up.

4 Likes

Thanks guys we are glad y’all like it. Sweepy 1.0 gave us a number of good lessons which we took away and ran with for the 2.0. So we appreciate all and any feedback.

We ship sweepy’s with all Shapeoko’s and want to keep improving anything and everything about our machines where possible.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.