Switch Gcode senders

Ok, so after years of using Bcnc, I’m open to a change. UGS seems popular, and after getting it setup on my new Pi4, I’ll try it. I also was able to put the new CM on just to try…but honestly I am so used to much more functionality I probably won’t use it.

I WOULD LOVE TO TRY CNCjs…BUT IT WILL NOT WORK. I have repeatedly tried getting this to work and nope. Never installs properly. I’m open to help. I literally open the install guide and copy/past the commands. I get to the cncjs install portion and I just get a string of npm errors the whole time. I’m assuming this guide is old and I’m missing something but I can’t find an easy to follow guide, or for that matter an easy install method that doesn’t require dozens of command line instructions.

I have no intention of running the machine remotely. I have a pi and a screen attached to the enclosure and it will always be run locally. GAHHH!!!

1 Like

@neilferreri is the man to call. He’ll be around soon. Be patient. :smiley:

2 Likes

I plan on setting up cncjs this weekend on an RPI 4.

I’ll follow the install guide and let you know if I run into anything and if so, how I solved it.

1 Like

I just set up this the other day and the npm(Node Version Manager) and node.js portion will fail, at least for me

Use the NPM method

I went with the npm install of node and used version 10 of node.js - I tried v15 but ran into issues

curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10| sudo -E bash -
then install
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
then update
sudo npm install npm@latest -g

then type in
node --v
npm -v
to get the version installed and it should be node -10.23.2 - npm -7.5.2

then go back to installing cncjs as per their instructions

I am by no means a Linux guy but this way worked for me after I had similar issues using the cncjs instructions.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issues with CNCjs and can’t get it installed on a Raspberry pi after numerous attempts. I even tried the PwnCNC script that should make it super easy (and error free) but still ran into the same problems. I’d say CNCjs needs to have a similar experience to Octoprint for 3d printers to really broaden its appeal and user base.

1 Like

I’ll give this a try and report back MatMann. Thanks.

Yeah I’m giving up on CNCjs. Until they can create something streamline like the Carbide motion distribution of ANYTHING usable they’ll have to get a negative review from me. I can’t get this node thing to work. I’m getting locked directory errors, unlinking errors. I’ve lived in Windows for too long to deal with this stuff. I love the pis, and have them all over the place but never dealt with software this deeply rooted in random installs.

1 Like

linux is a different beast for sure,

1 Like

It’s fine. I put Bcnc on there…took all of 10 seconds. I have the new CM to try, and UGS as well. Ah well. Worth a shot!

I somehow missed this one.
I don’t know all that much about linux, but I was trying to think of the easiest way to do this.
Remember, CNCjs is really meant to use the pi as a headless server. I’ve run headless on a pi and with the desktop “App” on various Windows machines.
Ok, so what I’d try (maybe I’ll do this after I finish this post) is start with v1pi’s so easy to use image. Then I’d install the desktop gui and chrome. Then I’d connect to the local CNCjs server from chrome. I’m not sure how it’ll go, but I think it should work.

EDIT: Seems to work…

He made it easy to install the desktop too…after it boots up and you log in

sudo /home/pi/scripts/install-desktop
then install chrome
sudo apt install chromium-browser

After some rebooting, open chrome and connect to v1pi.local

I connected to my grbl test arduino, so I did not run my actual machine, but it should work the same.

Just installed cncjs on a fresh RPI 4 this weekend.

Installing node and then trying to install cncjs via NPM didn’t work. There seemed to be a ton of dependency issues with, irrc, v15 of node.

Found this script from cncjs and it worked perfectly, was up and running in less than 30 minutes: https://github.com/cncjs/cncjs-pi-raspbian

Trying to setup my soft-limits (min-x and min-y now). And some commands to replicate the “rapid position” feature of CM.

3 Likes

Even easier!

G53 G0 X-nnnY-nnn

1 Like

Thanks for this! I was finally able to get it running using this method. Still baffled that the install instructions on the CNCjs page have so many issues.

1 Like

Nice! Was trying to use the instructions from CNCjs and getting a wall of errors. Will try this tomorrow.

Two things though…

How do I setup a share that I can read from both my windows machine and the PI and can I use the cncjs config file from my current windows install on the PI?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.