Table for Shapeoko

I know most have probably built there own table for the machine to sit on, but for those that bought a table, which table did you buy?

I got a large packing table from Uline and added locking casters so I can move it around as needed.

It’s been great, but in hindsight, I should have searched eBay etc. and probably could have found the same thing or something similar for less.

1 Like

I got a Kobalt workbench for my 4x2 SO5 Pro which works after a fashion:

We have a video:

which mentions:

1 Like

I got a chunk of maple bowling alley & some legs from MSC

2 Likes

Tables are much like shoes…You get the one that fits your needs and will work for you.

Think about the following

How you will be working and using your machine.
Open table or enclosed
What is your work area availability.
Do you want the computer on the same table as the machine or not.
Stationary or moveable.
Where is the power going to be located.
Will the dust collection be with the table.
How will the dust collection hoses be setup.
Where/how is the lighting.
Do you want drawers with the table.

Everyone’s needs are quite similar but totally different

I went with the Kreg Table for my Shapeoko Pro

Anthony

My Shapeoko 3XL sits on a Husky rolling workbench. It fits perfectly on the 46" x 24.5" top. I saw a picture on this forum a few years ago where somebody put two of these units back-to-back to make a 46" x 49" platform for their 3XXL.

2 Likes

Shapeoko 5 Pro 4 x 2
I don’t recommend the Kreg Tool Universal bench.
I built the 44x64, 3/4 Baltic birch top, 2x4 braces much like Shapeoko 5 Pro “The Table” video.
The whole thing shakes when gantry starts and stops. Can’t be good for accurate cuts.
That video doesn’t show the machine in motion.

That would be something to check on w/ @KevBarn14

Try some sort of diagonal bracing or even a sheet across the back/sides?

The Kobalt table seems quite sturdy, though it’s gotten a bit more expensive since when I bought it on sale — a bit shallow front–back, but it’s been workable for me.

Every video since that table video shows our machine cutting on that table. Every single project we’ve cut on the Shapeoko 5 has been created on that table. It does shake a bit with the machine running. This has zero effect on accuracy.

If you wanted to further stiffen the table, add a shelf and or cabinets below the top surface. We currently have a shelf across the front bottom of the table, with plans to add cabinets and drawers in the near future.

The KREG is one of the easiest, fastest ways to get up and running. Because of the mobility we also enjoy the casters. If you want to build a more substantial table I’m sure it will look terrific. It will not alter the accuracy of the machine.

2 Likes

What type of casters did you put on your table? Are your casters locked?

If you have casters try pointing them at 45 degrees each one pointing in toward center of table and make sure they are locked. That might help cancel out movement of table.

Maybe go back and retighten all the table bolts. Some could be loose.

Send a picture of your setup please.

The SO5 is quite heavy so it builds up momentum. Maybe add some diagonal bracing with 2x4 material to 2-3 sides.

1 Like

I agree with this I use casters that lock both the swivel and wheels. I don’t lock the wheels in place and have never had any issues with accuracy. My table does have a slight movement when cutting and I do some aggressive feeds and speeds when cutting some projects.

You can look at the movement as a sort of shock absorber. Its is transmitting machine movement to the table, wheels and to the floor and this is a small cushion of sorts.

There is movement in almost any table you use some you can see some you do not see.

Anthony

2 Likes

I’ve been using These Wheels on my home-built, 2x6 Shapeoko table as well as my workbenches. I like them because they get out of the way altogether when they’re not in use. It’s not locked, they’re simply not on the floor. The instructions tell you to mount the bracket at 1.5" from the floor, but I find a little higher actually works better. I have put These pads under the legs of my benches so that, when the wheels are disabled (out of the way), the table sits down on the rubber and the grip is REALLY firm.

Works great and not very expensive.

• Gary
2 Likes

I have the Rockler version of those on several tables and have the quick release brackets to move them to a different tool when needed.

But the outer layer of the wheels on the oldest set fell apart. I started looking for replacements and apparently 2 3/8 diameter is a really odd size. I ordered 2 1/2” in the hopes that will work but will also have to cut the stem shorter.

That version you show has 3” wheels which seem to be a lot more common.

1 Like

I looked at the Rockler ones also. I realized I’d rather pay less per pair and just get one for each bench rather than take the time to move them all around.

In general, it’s kind of a pain since you have to step on all four corners to get the table to move freely and then release all four corners to set it back down…but it does move really easily when it’s up (in all directions) and sits vey securely when it’s down. Before I did my shop reno, my CNC was in a corner and it was tough to get to all four legs…so now I made sure they’re easily accessible.

An inexpensive thing to try would be to put a layer of foam in-between the machine and the table — at the least it will dampen noise and resonance effects.

4 Likes

Thx, I was wondering which of the Amazon jack up castors to buy for the workbench I’m building, now I can stop trying to guess which ones are OK.

To add to this if you aren’t from the U.S. DO NOT buy a Rockler table, that company was a nightmare to deal with and if you look deep enough you will find all the other complaints of their services, issues with shipping, losing my package multiple times etc. Took 2 months to ship when I paid 350$ for overnight shipping. The table itself does wobble as well but can be braced better than the Kreg. The quality was very Chinese, missing bolts etc. I’d support Kreg if you don’t want to do a self build

Exact same Husky cabinet I bought form my 5 Pro 4 x 2. Works really well and I love all the drawer space for everything.

1 Like

I bought the Rockler, but I also have a local store, so that helps with some of what happened to you. We also have a Woodcraft so I could also see and compare the Kreg and Rockler. They seemed about the same strength and quality wise. Maybe slightly higher for Kreg if you’re splitting really fine hairs. :slight_smile:

Either would still rack (whobble) pretty bad without added support. I boxed in the sides under the table for that. The Rockler does have more available holes for adding the sides. The Rockler sheet metal is also slightly thicker.

Ultimately in-application they are pretty even and I think most people will be happier with either. My situation was just helped by having both options locally. I know a lot of people don’t have that luxury.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

I bought the Kreg 64" X 28" Universal Bench with Standard Legs and the 3" dual-locking casters and topped this with a 36" X 72" solid core door (cut down to 68") and it worked out great. I put a piece of Formica on the top and edged the table. Then, with one sheet of plywood, made a bottom shelf (dimensions of the metal stand) and with a little extra plywood, made a couple of drawer. The whole thing worked out OK, and I probably spent $500.

Best, John

2 Likes